New to Blue Iris

General discussion about Blue Iris
terere

New to Blue Iris

Post by terere »

I purchased several licenses of BI, but never really dug into all the details until I started using it at home.

Here are some things I would like to suggest. My BI runs on a different system and I only manage it remotely with remote desktop connection when required, which means my main way to interact with the cameras is the web interface, which seems to work better than what I expected.

The first issue I noticed is that creating a separated user for the web GUI is more or less useless in terms of security. Why? Because you can't actually assign the user any permissions. Example, I cannot flag or protect clips from the web interface unless the user has admin privileges. This is a no, no in terms of security. Why even have the concept of user or admin if you cannot actually limit or set individual permissions. Maybe this was planned for the future so they already added the concept of user being separated from admin.

Second. Please, developers update your Android App, people claim it works but that GUI...its like from 10 years ago. I just don't want to pay and find out it does not.

Can someone confirm how it works on Android 13 if it even works? Also, I have some FireTV's and I had to buy another IP app. It would be great if they can also release it to the Amazon App store because being able to watch all cameras directly from your TV or cheap kindle tablets that act as a remote viewer would be great in terms of saving money. Sure you can use the web interface, but Firetablets/TV are just Android. they don't need to code anything additional except upload the same build to the Amazon Store.
TimG

Re: New to Blue Iris

Post by TimG »

Hi, the android app works fine on my S22 Ultra running Android 14. Some people have issues with it, but I have it working well on various older android devices as well. I use ZeroTier for secure local and remote viewing. UI3 (http://yourIP:81/ui3.htm) will also work, but it isn't so good on a mobile phones 'portrait' screen.

As for FireSticks, I use the UI3 web interface in the Silk browser, and that is adequate. I have asked for an AndroidTV version, but I don't think it is on the cards.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.