Camera Settings FPS and iframe

mrredpants

Camera Settings FPS and iframe

Post by mrredpants »

I want to confirm my understanding of the recommendation for setting the fps and iframe on the cameras themselves.

My interpretation of the literature is that the camera FPS and iFrame should ideally be the same, so 15fps and 15 iframe.

My setup is pretty basic. Here are the cameras as they are now:
1.png
1.png (38.24 KiB) Viewed 15507 times
Here is the pool dome (the iframe was all 60, I changed to 30)
2.png
2.png (8.28 KiB) Viewed 15507 times
Here is The Front yard driveway
3.png
3.png (43.08 KiB) Viewed 15507 times
I realize I'm asking for a blanket statement, but I'm just trying to clarify what the help doc is telling me here.
https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... =11&t=2049

"Rule of thumb: Make sure the key frame (i-frame) interval on your camera equals the FPS for the camera. The only reason you would consider increasing the interval is if network bandwidth is becoming an issue."

Thanks in advance!
TimG

Re: Camera Settings FPS and iframe

Post by TimG »

My interpretation of the literature is that the camera FPS and iFrame should ideally be the same, so 15fps and 15 iframe.
Yes, that should give you 15 frames per second, and 15 key frames per second = 15/15 so Key = 1.

The complication is that the iframe settings may look different between different camera types, which always causes confusion. The simple answer is that you are changing the camera iframe settings until the BI5 Status/Cameras list shows the key between 0.5 and 1. That would make your Pool Dome (Cam1) 120.3 FPS/ 1.0 Key in your Blue iris screen grab.
I realize I'm asking for a blanket statement, but I'm just trying to clarify what the help doc is telling me here.
Blankets R Us !! You tweak all of the cameras to get the BI menu to show a Key of between 0.5 and 1 :D

Note that the help file also states:
Furthermore, keep settings simple such that all the streams have the same FPS. Choosing between 30 fps or 15 fps is a user preference. Setting all streams to have the same fps makes time reconciliation easier for BI. Turns out certain vendors like Hikvision set different fps (10, 15) for different streams. Different fps settings unnecessarily complicate multiple streams for BI.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
macster2075

Post by macster2075 »

quick question on sub stream.
I was using the Anamorphic option and reducing the resolution manually and it works great reducing the cpu utilization, but noticed the main different between using Anamorphic and sub stream is that when using sub stream option, once I make the camera full screen the resolution will change to full, but not when using Anamorphic..it will stay at whatever reso you select.

my question is.. now that I started using sub stream I noticed motion detection doesn't work as well when not using sub stream.
For example, when using sub stream, most of the time it won't detect motion at more than 30 feet away...it's not that is cancelling the motion..it just won't detect it at all.
When I don't use sub stream, it detects motion at more than 80 feet away.. is that because of the sub stream reso being so low making the image blurry and it has a harder time detecting motion ?
TimG

Post by TimG »

When I don't use sub stream, it detects motion at more than 80 feet away.. is that because of the sub stream reso being so low making the image blurry and it has a harder time detecting motion ?
That's how I understand it to work. It's a trade off for the reduced cpu load in detecting the motion in the first place. You also have the option in the BI5 camera settings/Trigger/Configure to use "High Definition"; the most obvious result of that being that the squares are smaller when you edit zones and hotspots. I'm sure that will improve detection but increase cpu load. Some experimentation will be required with your set up.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Rantech

Post by Rantech »

You could try increasing the resolution of the sub-stream in the camera video configuration page. Going to a higher resolution sub-stream (but still much lower than the main stream), will still save CPU but might help with your motion detection issue.