Need Advice How Best to Upgrade my old BI System

Faunus

Need Advice How Best to Upgrade my old BI System

Post by Faunus »

Hello!

I have used BI for many years to monitor my property and my home farm business. It has worked well - especially given my collection of IP cameras, some of which are over 10 years old!
I am still using version 4 and I am looking at updating the whole system.

I would like to know what the members here think the best way to run an unattended system might be.

I can dedicate a Win10 computer just to this. Would an old sixth gen 17 laptop do - it has an invidia G850 graphic card and 16 GB ram. Currently I have eight cameras - mostly POE cameras. I need to install about 6 more and will need Solar powered IP cameras in several locations.

I need to be able to monitor live from my phone from anywhere I might be. I need to retain recordings and two way communication is important.

There is lot's of internet bandwidth (over 50mbps) and the property WiFi network is a Unify Mesh Pro system, with no dropouts and a steady connection.

So ...

Are there any good Solar cameras that can work with BI?

Is a DVR worth considering?

Is Win10 reliable enough?

I am not really interested in the "cloud".

Pan and tilt is needed for some cameras and about half are for outside use in central Canada - it can get cold in winter!

I appreciate that I am asking a lot but I have no doubt that the experience on this board is second to none.

So what do you think? Please tell me your experiences and share your thoughts ....

NickM