How should I setup New, Stored, and Alert folders?

HeneryH

Re: How should I setup New, Stored, and Alert folders?

Post by HeneryH »

I think you are worried about nothing Tim. But have at it.

Disks are made to move the head quickly and the built-in cache can smooth out any short interruptions due to head movement.

When you are writing a large chunk you still can't assume that it is all getting written in one sector due to fragmenting.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

TimG wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:01 pm ... recording many different camera video feeds all at the same time to a single mechanical hard drive. The recording head cannot physically be in different places at the same time, so something will give. ...
This is true... for regular hard drives, and especially the OS drive. But, they work exceptionally with normal OS/workflow. It's amazing how much the OS is writing to the OS hd!

And false... The Western Digital Purple, and, Seagate Skyhawk, hard drives are designed with different caching specifically for recording (write operations) up to 64 HD camera stream simultaneously. Use one of these drive types as your recording drive, then using a regular drive for storage (if you do that). I don't. I let the recording live & die on my Skyhawk. I get about 3.5 weeks on my 7 cams. I'll probably get an additional Skyhawk, and split the recording too the two, and double my storage retention.

I'm not criticizing your viewpoint. Mearly stating my own.

I wonder... Are there tests done with write/read comparisons between SSD & the Purple/Skyhawk drives, with 64 HD streams?
wheeler498

Post by wheeler498 »

Would there be any actual performance advantage for recording new to a SSD then transferring to stored on a mechanical drive? I am in the process of upgrading my boot drive and will have a 90gb ssd free to use for something.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi,

I don't have any performance data, but it makes sense to me to have the "New" folder on a different drive to Windows. My BI SSD was sat in the parts box, so I dropped it in as the "fast drive" required for the database, and moved "New" to it. it all depends on how many cameras you have, and the resolution. if it works, then don't fix it ! If you add just one more camera and it struggles, then it's time to add faster parts. I don't have any performance issues with my server, and it does have a lot of other programs running on it - see info in the footer.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

wheeler498 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:36 pm Would there be any actual performance advantage for recording new to a SSD then transferring to stored on a mechanical drive? I am in the process of upgrading my boot drive and will have a 90gb ssd free to use for something.
I upgraded my boot drive from a mechanical HD to a 2tb Seagate 120. The difference is amazing. Bootups are blazing fast. Programs start much quicker. Still I wouldn't put BI 'New' there. I would think the bottleneck would still be the concurrent writes, but I'm not sure. The Skyhawk & Blue HD's are designed for up to 64 concurrent write streams. Not sure how SSD's would handle this.

It would be interesting to test. I do have a spare 500gig SSD... hmmmmmm
slainte0317

Post by slainte0317 »

I am not sure I would worry about crazy disk usage\hammering if you split up your cams on appropriate HW.

I am running BI on my C drive with a Kingfast SSD 250GB (will be replacing with a Samsung Evo for reliability, current performance is perfectly fine), and recording 7 Amcrest Cams (2-4MP IP4M-1026W, 1-4MP IP4M-1051B, 2-3 MP IP3M-941B, 2-8MP IP8M-T2499EW), all directly to a 4TB WD Purple, continuous, the disk usage fluctuates between 0 and 8%, typically around 2%. The SSD of course has the OS, BI, the BI db, as well as my remote access software as it is headless. Box is dedicated to BI, old off-lease Dell i5-3470 Mini-tower. CPU runs around 30-40% if I access via the browser vs. remote. Optimized with Sub-Stream and direct-to-disk, no re-encode, H.264 due to the gen of my processor. Adding a 6TB WD Purple to increase storage, will move cams to direct record, but expect the drive usage to remain low. It looks like you have more CPU than I do, so if you use surveillance drives with the appropriate config, you should be perfectly fine.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I think people are putting WAY too much brain power into this.

Has anyone anywhere ever heard of any scenario failing due to disk throughput?

Do the math, look at you disk spec for write speed.

I would love to hear if anyone can show a scenario where even an older 5400 disk would fail to keep up.

WD Purple 6TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class
Tuned for write-intensive, low bit-rate, high stream-count applications typical to most surveillance applications

Optimized performance for up to 32 HD cameras - With support for up to 32 high-definition surveillance cameras per hard drive, WD Purple gives you the flexibility to upgrade and expand your security system in the future. (for whatever this is worth, sounds like some marketing mumbo jumbo with no specs).

Host to/from drive (sustained) = 175 MB/s