Bue Iris And IPv6

xDSLdude

Bue Iris And IPv6

Post by xDSLdude »

Hello forum,

I am new to IP cameras and software. My question is there IPv6 support in BI as well as on ANPVIS IP POE cameras. Unfortunately, IPv6 was an afterthought after purchase. Are there specific IPv6 cameras? I would create an IPv6 dhcp scope on the L3 POE switch in my LAN. External remote access I hope would be facilitated by firewall via DMZ, IPv4 external IP. Thoughts greatly appreciated in advance. 8-)
Ferguson

Re: Bue Iris And IPv6

Post by Ferguson »

I realize this is an old post but new to BlueIris and it peaked my curiosity...

I have IPv6 set up generally on my home LAN for my own self training, but am not using it for any cameras or BlueIris as I did not see any real advantage, and since windows and other tools continue to refine how they treat it and occasionally break it (I've had periodic issues with Office 365 and Outlook, as well as Cisco Anyconnect). I've also found SOHO routers to be a bit less clear (if not simply less robust) in firewalling IPv6 as there's no NAT which is sort of a blunt instrument but at least a clear instrument. And of course a lot of camera firmware is old and not frequently updated.

So for "production" home stuff I stick to IPv4.

Could you elaborate on what you see as the advantage of running IPv6 for BlueIris and cameras?