BI ios app - No access to clips

logeox

BI ios app - No access to clips

Post by logeox »

So Ive noticed something lately that I never had a problem with before. I have no access to any of my clips or alerts outside of my home network. Everything used to work just fine, then in the last three months Ive noticed quirks with the app. Everything function as it should if Im on my home network. However if Im on someone elses WIFI or 4G network I have access to my cameras but the alerts or clips will not play. I can only see the quick preview of clips. The option in the calendar wont even populate the clips. When I try to access the quick preview clip it stalls and disconnects me in the app. Then it wont reconnect unless I restart the app. This has all been fairly recent issue with in the last few months.

Im running
Phone : IOS 13. 1.2 ( issue existed before 13)
Server: latest release of BI 5
ios App: 1.63.10 (released 8 months ago)

I dont even know where to start troubleshooting this. I know I have no issues with anything on the web ui3 interface. So it doesnt seem to be a connection/router issue. I am however using https and port forwarding thru Stunnel. No changes to any of that for years.

Any help would be appreciated.
HeneryH

Re: BI ios app - No access to clips

Post by HeneryH »

There is most likely a config issue with your router or domain name resolution.

Do you have port forwarding setup in your router to forward incoming connection requests to your BI machine?

Are you using a domain name or IP address to try to connect to your instance when away from home?

How about connecting to the web interface when away from home?

Did you use the tools BI has for connecting externally or did you manually config everything on your own?
logeox

Post by logeox »

HeneryH wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:00 pm There is most likely a config issue with your router or domain name resolution. - Works just fine with the web ui

Do you have port forwarding setup in your router to forward incoming connection requests to your BI machine? Yes, using Stunnel. Ive had this setup for 3 years now with no issues until lately. only seems to affect he ios app.

Are you using a domain name or IP address to try to connect to your instance when away from home? Im using a domain name.

How about connecting to the web interface when away from home? No issue connecting live view, querying or playing the alerts.

Did you use the tools BI has for connecting externally or did you manually config everything on your own? I had to manually config as the tool failed every time.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

If you can access the BI instance on your phone through the web pages while away from home then I am at a loss as to why the app would fail.

Sorry.
logeox

Post by logeox »

HeneryH wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:55 pm If you can access the BI instance on your phone through the web pages while away from home then I am at a loss as to why the app would fail.

Sorry.
I can access my cameras via the app while Im away.. what I cant access are the clips and alerts. They just crash the app or wont load and this is why Im posting. Im at a loss on this as well.
logeox

Post by logeox »

ok.. further testing does seem to show a problem on the web version as well. But only with loading clips and alerts. seems to be hit or miss on the web ui.

I see these error reporting when choosing a clip playback

1)Error response when getting clip stats from server: 0 error
2) An error occurred loading the camera list.
Response: 0 error
Error:
Url: json
3) Video stream was lost... attempting to reconnect.

OS I guess ill dig thru the router logs and see what I see.
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

logeox wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm So Ive noticed something lately that I never had a problem with before. I have no access to any of my clips or alerts outside of my home network. Everything used to work just fine, then in the last three months Ive noticed quirks with the app. Everything function as it should if Im on my home network. However if Im on someone elses WIFI or 4G network I have access to my cameras but the alerts or clips will not play. I can only see the quick preview of clips. The option in the calendar wont even populate the clips. When I try to access the quick preview clip it stalls and disconnects me in the app. Then it wont reconnect unless I restart the app. This has all been fairly recent issue with in the last few months.

Im running

I dont even know where to start troubleshooting this. I know I have no issues with anything on the web ui3 interface. So it doesnt seem to be a connection/router issue. I am however using https and port forwarding thru Stunnel. No changes to any of that for years.

I noticed the same this morning on my personal deployment with a test H.264 feed. It's not on my priority list as I use H.265 which iOS doesn't play back anyway.
- iOS Alert Animated GIF's working fine
- iOS Remote CAM and Alerts working fine
- iOS Local Viewing of H.265 CLIP's is fine via the iOS app
- iOS Remote Viewing of H.264 CLIP's, has stopped via the iOS app.
All functions via Chrome (Web Viewing) are fine.
I took a quick look, and it appears Cert \ STUNNEL related.
My STUNNEL has strong ciphers and is locked to TLS 1.2 only and a few other custom setups, so first thing I will do is re-generate the cert and then try default configs.

Make sure you keep STUNNEL up-to-date 5.5.5 should be the latest.
screeli

Post by screeli »

I had the exact same issue that took me forever to realize the solution was so very simple...

Check the consistency between your modem IP and router IP. I had been messing around with my IP settings when trying to trick some IP cams to be visible to the network, and what I didnt notice is that my modem changed IP domain. So for example my modem was something like 192.168.0.20 and my router was 192.168.1.50.

Hope this helps! (odds are there is yet another random topic causing the conflict, but if all else fails just remap your IPs and start with your modem.)
logeox

Post by logeox »

spammenotinoz wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:29 pm
logeox wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm So Ive noticed something lately that I never had a problem with before. I have no access to any of my clips or alerts outside of my home network. Everything used to work just fine, then in the last three months Ive noticed quirks with the app. Everything function as it should if Im on my home network. However if Im on someone elses WIFI or 4G network I have access to my cameras but the alerts or clips will not play. I can only see the quick preview of clips. The option in the calendar wont even populate the clips. When I try to access the quick preview clip it stalls and disconnects me in the app. Then it wont reconnect unless I restart the app. This has all been fairly recent issue with in the last few months.

Im running

I noticed the same this morning on my personal deployment with a test H.264 feed. It's not on my priority list as I use H.265 which iOS doesn't play back anyway.
- iOS Alert Animated GIF's working fine
- iOS Remote CAM and Alerts working fine
- iOS Local Viewing of H.265 CLIP's is fine via the iOS app
- iOS Remote Viewing of H.264 CLIP's, has stopped via the iOS app.
All functions via Chrome (Web Viewing) are fine.
I took a quick look, and it appears Cert \ STUNNEL related.
My STUNNEL has strong ciphers and is locked to TLS 1.2 only and a few other custom setups, so first thing I will do is re-generate the cert and then try default configs.

Make sure you keep STUNNEL up-to-date 5.5.5 should be the latest.
Thanks, I did do some poking around and watched the Stunnel logs and was able to see it resetting in the logs when I had my issue. It also spit out a stunnel contact for this issue so I emailed them. so hopefully this is a start to resolving the issue.
colelt1

Post by colelt1 »

Any chance you found the solution?

I found this thread while googling the same issue. In my house, it works great from any device, but outside my house I can watch the live view of my 2 cameras, but if I click on anything like alerts of clips, the page half loads the clips on the side, freezes, and then starts throwing errors. If you close the webpage and reopen, it may not even load. This is after years of working fine with no changes to my router or network gear. I also updated BI, wiped my clips, changed my switch, changed out the clip storage hard drive, deleted all the DBs, changed ports to 40k, changed port to 80, used my actual IP (not DNS) but no change. I feel like this has ATT filtering/QoS issue written all over it (uverse 350/350 fiber), but was hoping someone had a fix.

1)Error response when getting clip stats from server: 0 error
2) An error occurred loading the camera list.
Response: 0 error
Error:
Url: json
3) Video stream was lost... attempting to reconnect.