Improvement to accuracy of CPU Utilization in 5.0

matadoor1

Improvement to accuracy of CPU Utilization in 5.0

Post by matadoor1 »

Wanted to let everyone know, under 4 I had this issue where I would see some pretty drastic (like between 20 and 40%) difference between the CPU utilization as reported on the BI panel, in comparison to either task manager or an independent utility. BI always reported the CPU as LOWER than actual.

So, since 5 upgrade, I don't know what is changed, but the discrepancy is now within 2 to 5% and even that is not all the time, most times they track each other fairly well.

For reference, I'm running a Gigabyte MB with an Intel I7 8700 6 CPU core, Windows 10, 12GB of DDR4 memory, and 2 solid state SATA drives, one for OS and base software, the other is my storage drive.

I'm running 18 cameras with H264 video and CPU stays in the 40% range which varies based on the # of cameras sensing motion.

Love BI!!

Glenn
spammenotinoz

Re: Improvement to accuracy of CPU Utilization in 5.0

Post by spammenotinoz »

matadoor1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:28 pm Wanted to let everyone know, under 4 I had this issue where I would see some pretty drastic (like between 20 and 40%) difference between the CPU utilization as reported on the BI panel, in comparison to either task manager or an independent utility. BI always reported the CPU as LOWER than actual.

So, since 5 upgrade, I don't know what is changed, but the discrepancy is now within 2 to 5% and even that is not all the time, most times they track each other fairly well.

For reference, I'm running a Gigabyte MB with an Intel I7 8700 6 CPU core, Windows 10, 12GB of DDR4 memory, and 2 solid state SATA drives, one for OS and base software, the other is my storage drive.

I'm running 18 cameras with H264 video and CPU stays in the 40% range which varies based on the # of cameras sensing motion.

Love BI!!

Glenn
Hey Bill, interesting observation. You should note though, that with your i7 CPU utilisation is a useless metric. You may often find running at 90% CPU usage, the CPU has lowered the clock-speed to save power, compared to other times the CPU has enabled boost and running at 30% usage.
Just curious, do you have a really low resolution \ low framerates or are you using "limit decoding unless required"?