I Am Starting to Regret "Upgrading" to Blue Iris 5

justinbowser

Re: I Am Starting to Regret

Post by justinbowser »

IAmATeaf wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:56 pm Disable all hardware acceleration would be my first port of call.
I went in and set "Hardware Decode" to "No" on all cameras so we'll see what that does. I have had BI4 running without a hitch for several days.
justinbowser

Re: I Am Starting to Regret "Upgrading" to Blue Iris 5

Post by justinbowser »

No joy. Software shut down overnight after the change. Have not had the time to rename the cameras and re-add yet...
TimG

Post by TimG »

I can only suggest the the OP reads the info on this forum from Sam Varghese on how to sort out issues like this.

They are invariably difficult to figure out, but I think BI5 has moved on a long way from BI4, so it is worth it.

My last major issues were caused by Acronis True Image, which has an anti-ransomware function. I was tipped off by a fellow forum member that it could bring your pc to its knees, and he was right. Good luck with your fault finding.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

TimG wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:38 am My last major issues were caused by Acronis True Image, which has an anti-ransomware function. I was tipped off by a fellow forum member that it could bring your pc to its knees, and he was right. Good luck with your fault finding.
Same experience for me with ATI - I switched to Macrium Reflect and haven't looked back.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
MarvinMod

Post by MarvinMod »

I set BI 5 to run as a service because of the shutdowns. Although the service is shut down and restarted Blue Iris continues to run without interrupting my recordings so until this bug is fixed which is most definitely a bug with blue iris 5 try running as a service.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Ok next thing to try is doing a find/inspect on all your cams including any clones, also check the cams status page to confirm that hardware acceleration is disabled in all the cams.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Having re-read your original post, it does look like you’ve got 2 problems, 1st being that the Wi-Fi cams drop offline which BI won’t like and secondly that Bi crashes.

Do you run BI as a service, if not then do so as at least when it does crash the service will auto-restart so you’ll miss a few minutes of clips but it will carry on recording until the next crash.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I've been following this thread, and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

About BI shutting down randomly...
justinbowser wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 am ... This happens whether the app is in the foreground or minimized to the system tray.
I don't see how this could be an issue with BI! Minimizing an program doesn't shut down a totally different program.

- Do all pgms minimized do this? Or, just certian programs?

- Is it repeatable with the same pgms?

- Do the same series of steps crash BI? That is, you start pgm1, pgm2, pgm2, then minimize pgm1.

- What is the memory load just before this happens?

- What is the gpu load just before this happens?

- Have you run a memory test? Could be bad memory.

justinbowser wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 am ... All cameras are ReoLink running at 5 GHz.
If the cameras are WiFi, and they drop from time to time, then probably signal strength and/or interference. Are thry using different channels?

- Does the fps if the cameras get lower before they drop?

- As a TEMPORARY test, Reduce fps and resolution to a small setting. This will reduce bandwidth. If the cameras no longer drop, then it's bandwidth.

- As a TEMPORAQRY test, attach cat6/7 cables to all/some of the cameras closest to the router/switch. This will illuminate any possible WiFi issues AND free up WiFi bandwidth for the other cameras on WiFi. If these wired cameras no longer drop, then it's bandwidth and/or interference.

- Is there a power or signal strength setting on your router? If so, increase it.

- What control channel is your router using. AND, what it the status of that channel? Maybe that channel is being used and you should specify a specific channel? You can find Android apps to find this info.

- Are you running dual routers as an access point? If it's WiFi, then bandwith is half. Are they using different channels? If they are set to AUTO, it's possible they automatically get set to the same channel, or are too close and side channels interfere.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

A typical Wi-Fi access point will probably support 2 maybe 3 if you’re lucky wireless cams before you start to see issues which might be adding to the issue.

If you really want to keep running wireless cams then you should install additional access points so that you only have a couple of cams connecting to each access point. Also make sure that the access points are hard wired rather than being a simple wireless repeater.
swilliams68

Post by swilliams68 »

I have this same issue and after the latest update it is much worse. The cameras having the issues are Reolink model RLC-410 build 19032101 hardware IPC_3816M firmware v2.0.0.1441_19032101. All my other Relolink models work fine. These are all hardwire 1GB connections. Any ideas?