Can't start BI

eboggs_jkvl

Can't start BI

Post by eboggs_jkvl »

My previous try must be lost in the electrons of the internet.

BI 5.0.0.61 won't start on my PC. Well, it starts when it deems fit to actually "pop" and show me the cameras.

I am running W10 I've done all the W10 updates. Everything was working perfectly until Saturday AM at 6AM. I have my PC do a reboot at 6 to "cleanse" things and have an uneventful day. I run a program called "Startup Delay". It automatically start BI in the admin mode when the system reboots. The Delay program hits the exe file as I see the BI popup come on the screen BUT, I do not get the "pop" sound and the popup disappears and BI is not running. I can click on the Blue Iris admin.exe file in the Programs folder and BI WILL NOT START. THE SD program has been running perfectly for years with BI4 and was good with BI5 until something happened on Saturday. Either a W10 update messed up BI or a BI 5 update messed up.

I reloaded the full 5.0 BI program. I've run "repair". I run the latest BI update. Nothing seems to give me 100% start on the BI program.

I keep hitting the BI icon on my desktop and taskbar and I get the BI popup window but the program won't run. Eventually something "gives" and the "pop" sounds happens and the program runs. The problem is the program won't run unless I keep pounding on the start icon!

PC Intel i7-4771, CPU 3.50GHz
RAM 32 GB
64 bit OS, 64-based processor
AMD Radeon R7 370 (Drivers updated to be sure there is no issue with the card.)

Something changed and it wasn't something that I've changed for settings.

I hope this topic will post.

Elmer
MikeBwca

Re: Can't start BI

Post by MikeBwca »

You wouldn't by chance have just upgraded to 1903? If so, look for and install the cumulative 903 fixes and try again.
You may want to repair re-install the C++ 2015-2019 redistributes.
These are just guesses.

After I upgraded to 1903, my D: drive (separate hard drive) went all shades of bonkers. Turns out the file system got trashed! How! It was fine before 1903. But then, I think it might have been bad, but 1903 was the tipping point. I ended up restoring my D drive from a backup I took just before I upgraded to 1903 a few days before. Now my system if running better than it has in quite a while. So, i guess it was the file system all along.
Part of the issues were that application reading files from the D: drive would either just not run, or, take a long time to startup, and just take longer overall.
eboggs_jkvl

Post by eboggs_jkvl »

Well, you are a good guesser! Yes, I just updated to 1903. It took nearly 2 hours to update my system.

I guess I need to NOW figure out how to do the 1903 fix!

Elmer
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

It sounds like your issue may have been caused by upgrading to 1903. I had similar problems after my PC upgraded to 1903 where certain things would not work after the upgrade. I was unable to open a CMD prompt with "Run as Administrator". When I right clicked on My Computer icon and selected "Manage", it would not open "Computer Management". Some of the problems were related to DCOM errors, permission rights and file associations. In the end, I decided to restore my computer's recent backup using Acronis TrueImage 2018. I postponed the feature upgrade for 30 days. If the problems were related to 1903 upgrade, then hopefully there will be some MS updates to fix the problems in the near future.

The other possibility is that corruption may have occurred when the Window Update service was downloading the 1903 upgrade files to your PC. You could try running SFC and DISM to check whether some of Windows operating system files are corrupt, damaged or changed. Open a CMD prompt with "run as admin" and run SFC and DISM.

# SFC /scannow
# DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Try running SFC /scannow again and hopefully it will report that it "did not find integrity violations" or it "successfully repaired them".

After this, your choices are performing a REFRESH or RESET of your Windows 10 OS or rollback your upgrade to the previous version. If you rollback to your previous OS version, make sure you delay your previous OS feature upgrade so it doesn't upgrade to 1903 again. You can delay a feature upgrade for 7 days for HOME and 30 days for PRO. Instead of letting the update service install 1903, download Win10 1903 to a flash drive and perform the upgrade yourself.

BTW, If your Intel i7-4771 PC has an Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU, it will provide better performance to Blue Iris than your AMD Radeon R7 370 because it can utilize Intel QuickSync hardware accelerated decode. The most important performance factor for Blue Iris is CPU, so Intel GPU's that support QuickSync will significantly reduce CPU utilization benefitting Blue Iris. Food for thought!
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I resolved it. I installed another drive and restored to it. Took the 'bad' drive' and repaired it. Coudl have repaired the exsisting drive, but I wanted it back quicker.