Upgrade instructions?

MikeBwca

Re: Upgrade instructions?

Post by MikeBwca »

Yes, I do export individual cameras.

I was referring to the V4 to V5 upgrade. I believe there is a file to import the camera settings (If they didn't carry over with the upgrade) in the V5 folder? Or, am I thinking of the BI settings file? I forget.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 am I was referring to the V4 to V5 upgrade. I believe there is a file to import the camera settings (If they didn't carry over with the upgrade) in the V5 folder? Or, am I thinking of the BI settings file? I forget.
Anything that you import now into Blue Iris 5 from a Blue Iris 4 "Blue Iris.reg" file will create problems where Blue Iris 5 will have settings that point to the Blue Iris 4 folder. You can do this, but it will require clean up work in the registry to change anything linked to Blue Iris 4 to Blue Iris 5.

1. You can import Blue Iris 4 Export settings file called "Blue Iris.reg" in Blue Iris 5 Settings -> About tab.

2. Make a backup of Blue Iris settings using REGEDIT from the command line or from a batch file.

REGEDIT /E:A "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\BlueIris_v5.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software"

3. Use Notepad and do a search and replace on any references to "Blue Iris 4" and change them to "Blue Iris 5".

The advantage of using REGEDIT is that it works outside the Blue Iris console and is in ascii text format. I was able to use NOTEPAD and do a search and replace on any references to Blue Iris 4 and change them to Blue Iris 5. I discovered a few things in my Blue Iris 5 registry settings that were still pointing to my Blue Iris 4 folder like the log path, webserver, sounds and alerts.

"LogPath"="C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\Blue Iris.txt" changed to "LogPath"="C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Blue Iris.txt"

4. Once I save the changes to the .REG file, all I had to do is double click on the REG file and it saved the changes to the Windows registry. FYI: make sure Blue Iris is not running in memory or as a service before doing this.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I'm not making myself clear. I'm referring to the v4 to v5 upgrade, and a file generated by that upgrade for the cameras. The cameras should appear in V5. But, if they do not, then they can be imported by the import file in the v5 folder. Not taking the exported .reg files from v4 and importing them into v5. Yes, that would be bad.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 am I'm not making myself clear. I'm referring to the v4 to v5 upgrade, and a file generated by that upgrade for the cameras. The cameras should appear in V5. But, if they do not, then they can be imported by the import file in the v5 folder. Not taking the exported .reg files from v4 and importing them into v5. Yes, that would be bad.
There is nothing documented on what you mentioned, however, I did find a file called "Backup.reg" in "C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5". This file had the same date when I first installed Blue Iris 5. Other than the name, which suggest backup, I have no idea to its purpose or whether it can be imported using Blue Iris import feature.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

reddawg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm
MikeBwca wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 am I'm not making myself clear. I'm referring to the v4 to v5 upgrade, and a file generated by that upgrade for the cameras. The cameras should appear in V5. But, if they do not, then they can be imported by the import file in the v5 folder. Not taking the exported .reg files from v4 and importing them into v5. Yes, that would be bad.
There is nothing documented on what you mentioned, however, I did find a file called "Backup.reg" in "C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5". This file had the same date when I first installed Blue Iris 5. Other than the name, which suggest backup, I have no idea to its purpose or whether it can be imported using Blue Iris import feature.
That file is generated by BI when you have auto export selected. It will default to the BI folder unless you specify a new location. I personally like to make my own backup of the registry myself, but I use this one as well. The backup BI makes you have to use the import settings within BI. This is worthless if you are in a crash situation so I prefer to export the registry myself.
Annotation 2019-07-16 203616.jpg
Annotation 2019-07-16 203616.jpg (110.35 KiB) Viewed 9352 times
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

reddawg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm
In the 'installation Notes' that appear after the v4 to v5 upgrade...
If you are upgrading from version 4, a file backup_upgrade_50.reg is created in the
Blue Iris folder. If your cameras and other settings are deleted when you uninstall
version 4, you may re-import these settings using the Import button on Settings.
Probably reworded & renamed in later V5 versions. Easy to miss. I missed it, and had to install it on a test machine to get the installation notes. There probably saved somewhere also!
matadoor1

Post by matadoor1 »

Hey there!! So, noticed today that I was "upgrade eligible" and came here to see what mayhem I may be in store for.

No MAYHEM!!

Downloaded the 5.0, exported my config (just in case), ran the install, and everything came up perfectly!! One of the easiest upgrades I've ever had the pleasure of living through!!

Thanks Ken and team!

Glenn