Question about hardware/performance

squinting2

Question about hardware/performance

Post by squinting2 »

Hi,

I'm running Blue Iris (latest version, as of yesterday) virtualized on Windows 10, within Proxmox (Qemu).

System Spec is: Win 10 Pro Build 1909 on Intel Core i7-4770K CPU, 4GB RAM with an 80GB SSD for disk. Because this is a VM, it doesn't have access to the onboard GPU on the CPU. My cameras are UBNT - one UVC-G3-FLEX and the other is a UVC-G3-BULLET

I've got a total of 4 cameras, but I've added only two at 640x480 via RTSP streaming. I've got direct-to-disk recording enabled. I'm not using stunnel/SSL.

I'm having some performance issues - namely when accessing the system with the WebUI. When I access the URL, the page loads very quickly but I get the spinning circle that just sits there forever. By "forever" - I mean between 30 seconds to 3 minutes. All the while this is happening, the CPU usage is at or below 10%, so it doesn't seem like a bottlenecking issue. Under normal circumstances the CPU stays at or below 10% usage.

I thought I'd be OK to use this CPU for only 4 cameras, is that not the case? Do I absolutely have to pass through the GPU to get better performance? Thing is, I'd rather not because if I do that then I lose video to my Proxmox, and have to deal with a host of other problems if something goes wrong with the underlying hypervisor. Also it appears I have to keep a screen (or HDMI/VGA dummy plug) attached to the screen in order for all this to work - all this sounds like a lot of hassle and it could be great if I can avoid all this.