Upgraded to v5 and after uninstalling v4, says I need a license

tredecim

Upgraded to v5 and after uninstalling v4, says I need a license

Post by tredecim »

Due to lack of documentation or instruction on how to upgrade to v5 from v4, I donwnloaded and ran the upgrade. Everything went perfect. I opened up the GUI for v5 and it all worked. Said my license was valid. A popup said I was good to uninstall v4, so I did. Now when I open v5 it says I can only use the demo. When I paste in my key it says it's a maintenance key and doesn't accept it. WTH is going on? Why did it work fine until I uninstalled v4? Do I need to purchase a new key? if so which one?
AleksB

Re: Upgraded to v5 and after uninstalling v4, says I need a license

Post by AleksB »

Hit this same issue and solved it.

Go back and find the initial key you received when purchasing BI, not one of the update keys that extends the subscription. Putting that original key in addressed the issue for me. Good luck.

Aleks
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

tredecim wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:18 pm Due to lack of documentation or instruction on how to upgrade to v5 from v4, I donwnloaded and ran the upgrade. Everything went perfect. I opened up the GUI for v5 and it all worked. Said my license was valid. A popup said I was good to uninstall v4, so I did. Now when I open v5 it says I can only use the demo.
I am assuming you answered "no" to "Delete registry entries and activation" when you uninstalled Blue Iris 4 and Blue Iris 5 (BI5) and you still lost your registration info? The same problem happened to me any many others. I was able to recover from this problem because I made a backup of BI5 settings before I uninstalled BI4. I re-imported "Blue Iris.reg" (backup settings file) and that restored my registration information.
tredecim wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:18 pm When I paste in my key it says it's a maintenance key and doesn't accept it. WTH is going on? Why did it work fine until I uninstalled v4? Do I need to purchase a new key? if so which one?
Try using your Blue Iris 4 (full / upgrade) license code and not the Extended Support and Maintenance license key.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
basstae

Post by basstae »

I do not have the original message that has my product key from 4 years ago.
I have fixed this issue by reverting to a snapshot i took prior to installing version 5,
I then exported the registration registry folder from version 4 (same key directory as version 5) under something like local machine/software/perspective software/blue iris/registration (export the whole folder).
I then installed version 5,
uninstalled version 4 completely,
restarted VM (recommended by OS)
launched version 5 in demo mode so it would place registry entries back
imported the exported registration registry folder
last step restore the settings from blue iris backup. 

Very much a pain in the butt. I feel sorry for anyone who dosn't have a backup or snapshot and follows the instructions given by BI prior to the upgrade/uninstall of version 4.
Hope this write up at least helps someone out there.
impactoz

Post by impactoz »

I posted a similar issue this morning - and that post has disappeared....

I thought I had a v4 key in my email - did the backups, got myself a new support key - followed the instructions - and tried the v5 upgrade.

The key I thought was my v4 key is probably my v3 key - and it did not like that, or my support licence key... Now I cant run v4 or v5... I was happy on v4 - argghhh - waited for bugs to be ironed out - nope!

Sent an email to support - coming up to 3 days and NO REPLY... other than the standard email reply stating we have received it, and if you reply to this it will go to the back of the queue!!! Find that arrogance actually ! The email also suggested to copy and past from the config screen - wish I could get that far!

I just get the enter key screen - which it does not like any info I give, and the demo button wont work - as it says 0 days left... I have been dead in the water for almost 3 days with no recordings...

Long time user of the software, and had issues from v3 to v4 and it repeats itself again - NOT VERY HAPPY it broke on me - BUT EXTREMELY unhappy not having a reply from support!
MnemonicMonkey

Post by MnemonicMonkey »

FWIW, I found this after installing v5 on fresh hardware. Went back and deactivated v4, then couldn't get v5 to take my original key (I even double-checked it was the right one when deactivating.) I finally realized it wasn't recognizing my key

...BECAUSE I LEFT THE DASHES OUT.

Microsoft has spoiled me.

Problem solved. /PEBCAK