H265 hardware acceleration issue with Intel

delerium

H265 hardware acceleration issue with Intel

Post by delerium »

Hello,

bit of background, I wanted to move my cameras to a new dedicated machine. I had an obsolete laptop, MS Surface Book 2, which however is new enough to support H265 hardware acceleration (Intel Core i5-7300U, Intel HD Graphics 620).

I currently have 2x Hikvision 4k cameras (configured as H265 (H265+ disabled)), 4k, 20fps) and planning to install 2 more of these.

Windows 10 20H2, K-Lite Codec Pack 1595 Standard (newest at the moment), Intel Graphics Driver 100.9079 (newest at the moment).

Hardware acceleration is completely broken, when I have Intel chosen in global hardware decode settings & also in camera settings, I see there are occasional GPU usage from 0% to 15% but CPU is 70-95% all the time.
When I go to MPC-HC and play a test H265 clip there is 4% CPU usage and around 30% GPU usage. So hardware accelerated decoding works in general, but not in Blue Iris.

I'm running Blue Iris version 5.3.7.10.

Not sure where to go from this point, if someone knows some driver / BI version combos that are proven to work, I would be glad to hear.