Comcast/Xfinity blocking BI.... finally resolved!

LyndMc

Comcast/Xfinity blocking BI.... finally resolved!

Post by LyndMc »

I’ve seen others that have had this same issue. After a total of 10 calls to Comcast tech support, 4 times running through their step by step troubleshooting, many instances of we’re checking and sending me to the “advanced” group, and multiple times that I was furious after being accidentally hung up on, it works!

From the day of install of BI4 and through BI5, I could never get updates to work, it said it couldn’t find the server. When configuring remote wizard, the next to last step would never complete. That’s the step that your server goes out to BI and bounces back your IP address and confirms the link.trying to go to blueirissoftware.com was not possible.

On two occasions Comcast re-provisioned my router and everything worked for about 30 minutes, then I lost it again. It came down to Comcast said they didn’t know what else to do other than replace my modem. I had about a 20% confidence that it would do anything. To my surprise... the new modem fixed it!

My modem was about 2-3 years old, version #4, the new one is if I recall, version 9. Ken was instrumental is helping me through the process from his end. So glad that it finally works.
TimG

Re: Comcast/Xfinity blocking BI.... finally resolved!

Post by TimG »

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully that can help other people with the same problem.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

At first all I was going to say was thats awesome and glad you got it fixed..... but then it occurred to me that while I've always been able to have pretty good success and have been happy with my Comcast service (minus a massive issue a couple years ago that is unrelated to this discussion and a topic for another day), I always had issues connecting to my server when at my brother-in-laws house that also had Comcast and was on older hardware. I didn't associate it but he recently upgraded the equipment and now it works.... very interesting.

FWIW, I do have Comcast service at my home where BI is located but I do not use any of their hardware so the relation didn't occur to me at first.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

We had Comcast for a while and it was a slow-motion nightmare for us. Sometimes it would be fine, the rest of the time it was terrible. And yes, Comcast's 'customer service' is beyond awful.

I can personally attest to the fact that they were wretched to deal with back then, I'm sure they're wretched to deal with now, and I've no doubt they'll be wretched to deal with in the future.

Comcast is awful, but the bottom of the barrel is AT&T; they're the worst of the worst. They play games with your bills and then claim you owe them for services you never ordered, got or wanted. Dealing with the incompetent, soulless zombies at AT&T damn near gave me brain cancer.

Tmobile, on the other hand, has been great to work with the few times I've called them.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS