Unlock door from inside the software

redmark330

Unlock door from inside the software

Post by redmark330 »

Our church would like to add a front door Doorbell Camera with two way communication to Blue Iris but need to be able to unlock that door remotely from inside the software. Is this possible?
MikeBwca

Re: Unlock door from inside the software

Post by MikeBwca »

I have no idea. I have not heard of such an option.

Why not use the app that comes with the Doorbell camera?
You may be able to write a script that executes the command that the Doorbell camera uses. I have no idea.
cds333

Post by cds333 »

This is possible using DIO.

Here's a video that demonstrates using DIO to control a relay. I think he lists a link to a post that explains it. Either way there is plenty of info online to get you started. Google blueiris DIO arduino

Certain hikvision cameras, for example, also have added functionality for controlling external relays, they actually have an extra wiring harness for hooking up to. But if that is not the case with your camera, you can use the DIO functionality of BI, independently of the camera.

The one thing I think you may have a problem with is integrating the system with the lock, depending on what kind of lock you have. Most residential grade electronic locks, for example, while they do not have any external hookup for a remote wire, they are very easy to modify to accept an external signal to activate the solenoid from an arduino or whatever. If you have a commercial grade magnetic strike however, those are designed to work with a remote switch right out of the box, and would be much easier to hook up.

So the next relevant question would be- what kind of lock do you have, and what is your level of electronics experience?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I think your looking at 2 different products...
- Doorbell Camera.
- Door lock with internet.
Each has internet connectivity, and a phone app.

Being this is a Church, I would suggest getting professional help in getting these integrated into Blue Iris.
cds333

Post by cds333 »

IME, most consumer grade door locks want you to use their own apps; very few "smart locks" allow the user local API access. Some are decent but others are complete garbage- between sending your data to some obscure chinese server, to the chance they will go out of business and Apple will carelessly brick their app with an iOS update, while others require an internet connection and will not work over a local LAN (so you cant even control your lock when the internet goes out even if you are on site), there are many reasons to want the lock integrated into BI only.

Here is the link I mentioned above btw:

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/arduino-b ... tion.4036/

Here's an example of why I will always use Blue Iris over some random company:

I had previously invested a few grand into a system by AverMedia. It consisted of multiple 4 camera DVR cards and an expansion card to control relays (for door locks and the like). It worked great for years until they decided that they were getting out of the business of making PCI based DVR cards. They stopped supporting their app, and within a year, apple forced its users to upgrade to iOS 11. Of course doing so meant you could not use the AverMedia app anymore. So your choice was to either to a) upgrade the entire DVR system at the cost of another few thousand dollars, or b) never upgrade your iphone again.

Obviously we went with option b. Of course one can only do this for so long until other apps stop being able to be run. Once iOS 12 comes out you can no longer run your banking apps ona phone running iOS 9.

This is the main reason I hate Apple and will never buy an iphone again. Not only do they intentionally brick apps like AverMedia, but if a user accidentally updates iOS and then realizes that the upgrade bricked their app, Apple refuses to let you downgrade again. They just tell you to "take it up with the app developer". They could care less that you have $5 grand invested in hardware. Android on the other hand- not only allows you to downgrade your phone, but they make sure older apps can still run on newer versions of Android. You can run a 4 year old version of the AverMedia app on a phone running Android Pie and despite a warning telling you to look for a newer version- it still works!

Anyway the moral of the story is that if I had just went with BI from the start I could have avoided all that hassle. From now on I will only ever use hardware that is connected directly to BI, or that I can write my own code for. Stay away from anything that only allows access through an obscure chinese app like the plague, and if possible, try to avoid things that do not allow users local access.