Re-install service to remove BlueIrisService.exe dependency

Matts1984

Re-install service to remove BlueIrisService.exe dependency

Post by Matts1984 »

Hi All,

Looking for help to a probably very simple question. Just updated to 5.2.5.0 and am seeing this message in my BI Status messages as a warning "Re-install service to remove BlueIrisService.exe dependency". Whats the right way to do that? I haven't tried anything yet but figured a quick question was better than doing the wrong thing(s). Everything is working correctly but I'd like to clear this.

Thank you!
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
reddawg

Re: Re-install service to remove BlueIrisService.exe dependency

Post by reddawg »

Matts1984 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:15 pm Looking for help to a probably very simple question. Just updated to 5.2.5.0 and am seeing this message in my BI Status messages as a warning "Re-install service to remove BlueIrisService.exe dependency". Whats the right way to do that? I haven't tried anything yet but figured a quick question was better than doing the wrong thing(s). Everything is working correctly but I'd like to clear this.
I would try opening Blue Iris console and go into Settings -> Startup and un-select "Run as a Windows service". This will uninstall the service and exit you from Blue Iris console. Re-launch Blue Iris console and go back into Settings -> Startup and re-select "Run as a Windows service". This will re-install the Blue Iris service, but you will need to exit from Blue Iris console and then re-launch it to start the service.

From the Blue Iris help manual PDF under Update Notes:
5.2.5 - April 9, 2020
Many users take advantage of the camera “clone” functionality in order to record video and
images in various ways. You may now select to include all cloned camera clips with the
master’s clips when the clips list is filtered by camera—there’s a new checkbox on the
camera settings General page.

This version removes the dependency on the second executable BlueIrisService.exe—now
there are fewer moving parts for more stability. This should help with recent security
software issues encountered with Sophos and Bit Defender which did not allow the service
to launch a second process (BlueIris.exe). You must remove and then re-add the service
from the Settings/Startup page before this will take effect. When enabling the service, the
software will now also prompt for logon information, check the password, and provide the
account with the necessary privileges.

If the service were to ever crash, the console window now more reliably reconnects to the
service to prevent interruption in the display.
Last edited by reddawg on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
Malstrond

Post by Malstrond »

I tried to do this and now I'm completely locked out of the run-as-a-service functionality.

When I try to enable it in the starup settings, I'm prompted for a username and password.
However no matter what I enter, I always get the error "Could not login, check password (1326)".
But the username and password is definitively correct. I can login with the same username and password when starting the console, I can login with it in UI3, and I can login with it in the Android app.
pomonabill220

Post by pomonabill220 »

After trying several times, I tried my system's user id (auto filled) and password and it worked.
There was no indication which user id should be used.
pomonabill220

Post by pomonabill220 »

Well I tried to get the service to start, and after entering my user ID and password seemingly successfully, when I reboot and BI tries to start, I get a popup saying that BI service failed to start, and the run as service checkbox is unchecked.
I verfied the user id and password for windows and it is correct.
What else am I missing?
AP514

Post by AP514 »

Just FYI REDDOG that Highlighted Blue is very hard to read.(hard on the OLD eyes.) Maybe a Yellow or Orange.

AP514
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

pomonabill220 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:54 pm Well I tried to get the service to start, and after entering my user ID and password seemingly successfully, when I reboot and BI tries to start, I get a popup saying that BI service failed to start, and the run as service checkbox is unchecked.
I verfied the user id and password for windows and it is correct.
What else am I missing?
I didn't encounter a problem when I enabling the BI service in v5.2.5.3 x64. I didn't reboot PC. After enabling the BI service, I exiting from Blue Iris console and then relaunched it. This starts the service and then opens Blue Iris console. I wonder if the BI service "BlueIris" needs to be set to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" on some PCs. Try launching Blue Iris then go into Settings -> Startup and re-enable "Run as a Windows service", then exit from Blue Iris and re-launch Blue Iris. See if the BI service starts properly. If you continue to have a problem with the service not starting during the PC's boot, then change the BI service "BlueIris" from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start).

Also, are you using a local account or Microsoft account? I am using a local account with Windows 10. Does your username have a space in it?
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
pomonabill220

Post by pomonabill220 »

Thanks Reddawg for the reply.
I am running Win 7/64 right now.
I will give it another try and see what happens.
I did downgrade to 5.2.4.6 x64, and the memory used crept up to over 6Gig and crashed my system!
I did a system restore and that fixed the memory problem and the "start BI as a service" problem, so upgrading to 5.2.5.3 is my next try again.
FYI... when running 5.2.4.6, memory stays at about 1.6Gig with the console open and BI running as a service.
I'll let ya know!
pomonabill220

Post by pomonabill220 »

Almost forgot... there are no spaces in my user ID. I tried with and without a password too.
pomonabill220

Post by pomonabill220 »

Don't know what I did different, but NOW it is functioning fine!
I will keep an eye and see if anything else messes up, but for the moment it is working!
memory used is 1.84Gig, cpu hovers around 50%.