Hardware Accelerated Decode will not enable

n8lbv

Hardware Accelerated Decode will not enable

Post by n8lbv »

Clean install of Windows 10 pro 64bit 16GB RAM integrated graphics only (no video card installed).
Clean new install of Blue Iris 5
I7 9700K CPU
Asus Z390-A motherboard.
Reolink RLC-410 and RLC-411 IP Cameras (all have latest firmware installed)

All up to date bios and drivers.
Intel Graphics driver up to date and loaded/working properly Can see GPU and GPU usage in task manager, GPU tests work as expected.
Blue iris now showing any GPU usage in Task manager.

Blue Iris running as service.

All attempts to enable Hardware Accelerated Decode fail to enable it. ( Intel® ) it just comes back showing "no" after setting, restarting Blue Iris and restarting computer.

Tried all that I know to try.

Setting video source to Generic ONVIF H.264 instead of Reolink.
In Camera: Tried setting encode to H.264 Profile = Baseline instead of default "High".
Makes no difference. Still will not enable and show enabled in Blue Iris.

Please help!

What am I missing?
n8lbv

Re: Hardware Accelerated Decode will not enable

Post by n8lbv »

Still in progress working on it.
*Some* progress made but have a ways to go.
Will post more information when I have it.

I'm able to post and reply here now as well.
n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Said a prayer.
Still not working.
forrestholleman

Post by forrestholleman »

There are three "Models" under ReoLink in BI.

"C1-Pro RTMP"
"RLC-410/411/420/422/423 Baseline RTMP"
"RLC-410/411/420/422/423 Baseline RTSP (old firmware)"

Did you try the "old firmware" option? That worked for me, even though I have RLC-520 cameras. It's the only option that would allow HA on my NVIDIA GPU.
forrestholleman

Post by forrestholleman »

There are three "Models" under ReoLink in BI.

"C1-Pro RTMP"

Did you try the "old firmware" option? That worked for me, even though I have RLC-520 cameras. It's the only option that would allow HA on my NVIDIA GPU.
n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

forrestholleman wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:42 pm There are three "Models" under ReoLink in BI.

"C1-Pro RTMP"

Indeed I did try that. didn't work.
Then per suggestion on the other forum tried plain generic RTSP:// to the IP of the camera.
Still didn't work (with hardware accel). But I have stuck to RTSP ever since then.

Also I'm not using NVIDIA but Intel QS (in the CPU). Integrated GPU.
It's supposed to be "really good" and you don't need an external GPU to use it.. it consumes nearly 33% of the on die resources of the CPU so may as well use it if it's there
and otherwise would just be mostly idle.
n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Just a followup and to close this subject properly.
After a number of BlueIris software updates (and there have been a lot of them over the past three weeks).
A significant number of the updates were titled: "RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras Other minor enhancements and bug fixes"
It now works fine and I have working hardware decode on ALL of the Reolink Cameras.

In asking the developer specifically what the problem was and what exactly was fixed to make it work they replied:

“I believe I was only waiting for the Intel driver to return a frame after 10 were fed into it, otherwise assume the decoding was non functional. It was learned that in some cases it may be 12-15 frames before the driver provides output, and this adjustment was made to make the software more "patient." This likely correlates to varying encoding properties used by the camera, but I do not have detail on that."

Anyhow this seems to coincide with the Reolink cameras doing something different or not the right way from what I gather as was discussed in detail earlier/above.

Anyhow it is cool that it is working better now.

Regardless of the quality of the Reolink cameras (or lack thereof) I was looking for a technical reason as to why this was not working yet would work fine in other software such as VLC playing the same RTSP stream.

This pretty much answers that at a high level and now it works.

-Steve
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Thank you for closing the loop on this; it'll probably help a lot of people having this same issue.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Well thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. I've spent all morning seeing what CPU upgrade options are available for my server. I think I'm too old to be getting anything from acceleration advantages but better processors still would help, especially if I'm only talking like $20.

In case anyone has experience, I'm running an old DL180 G6 that currently has 2x Xeon E5520's. I've been doing a lot of comparison (including price) and I think I may pull the trigger to upgrade to 2x X5650's.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras