BlueIris 5 service stops responding

rjchu

BlueIris 5 service stops responding

Post by rjchu »

Ever since updating my 5.1.x setup to 5.2.0.x I've been having problems.

It started with the BI5 service hanging, which in turn caused the BI UI to hang - I was always able to close the UI cleanly via the icon in the top right of the window and then resolve the main problem by stopping the BlueIris service (yes, Windows says it was still running even though it wasn't accepting connections) and then starting it again - I do not need to reboot the PC at any time to resolve the issue which is what makes me think this is all BI related/induced. I can then restart the BI UI and everything's happy again. This seems to happen anywhere from once a day or one every couple days.

I haven't been able to find anything in the forums related to this so in the interim I've setup a Windows Scheduled Task twice daily that stops the BI service, starts the BI service and then starts the UI as well (this is actually 3 separate tasks that run a short time period apart). This got me by until this morning when I noticed the tablet that I have displaying a live feed via web page/web stream to the BI web server wasn't working. At first I'd thought the BlueIris service hung again so I went to the PC and no, it's running fine. Live camera feeds are displaying locally just fine. Instead, the BI web server was refusing connections! The BI PC was able to talk to various hosts on my network, everything looked good from a router and switch perspective (Unify setup) yet whenever I tried to connect to the BI PC on the usual port 81, connection refused. For kicks I tried stopping and starting the BI service (again, NO reboot of the PC itself) and magically the feeds started up on their own on the tablet and other devices that display live feeds.

I'm currently running 5.2.0.4 (the latest as of this posting) and nothing else has changed aside from updating to 5.2 a week or so ago and then 5.2.0.1, 5.2.0.2, .3 and then ultimately .4 The issue might have started with 5.2.0.1 or 5.2.0.2 instead of the .0 release (I can't recall exactly since it wasn't expected) and I've done subsequent updates figuring they might address this problem but so far, no luck.

Log files do not show anything at the time the service goes belly up, all I see is that when I ultimately go in and fix things (or the scheduled jobs do now) an entry in the logs saying something to the effect of "Restarting after unexpected shutdown".

Anyone have any similar experiences and/or ideas on a fix? How can I downgrade back to the last 5.1.x version?

Thanks,

-joni-
Thixotropic

Re: BlueIris 5 service stops responding

Post by Thixotropic »

I haven't seen this, but I notice there's an update today that says it has fixes that include "revised web server sockets, revised camera streaming sockets, and a UI3 browser update". I haven't applied the update yet but maybe it addresses the issue you're seeing. (??)

If you haven't already gotten Reddawg's "Blue Iris Update Manager", I'd recommend getting it; it makes doing version rollbacks easy and painless: https://blueirissoftware.com/Forum/view ... f=4&t=1034
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
rjchu

Post by rjchu »

Thixotropic wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 pm I haven't seen this, but I notice there's an update today that says it has fixes that include "revised web server sockets, revised camera streaming sockets, and a UI3 browser update". I haven't applied the update yet but maybe it addresses the issue you're seeing. (??)

If you haven't already gotten Reddawg's "Blue Iris Update Manager", I'd recommend getting it; it makes doing version rollbacks easy and painless: https://blueirissoftware.com/Forum/view ... f=4&t=1034
Thanks for the reply - I tried the 5.2.0.5 patch last night (from 5.2.0.4) and sadly it didn't resolve my issues - in fact the service needed to be bounced this morning about 10 hours after I'd applied this patch and rebooted the PC just to be sure it was running clean. :(

Re the Update Manager, I saw that thread too just before I posted my original message - looks very cool and something I will be installing.

Thanks again,

-joni-
miles267

Post by miles267 »

Am currently on 5.2.7.2 x64 release but still notice that the BI service stops frequently and must be manually re-started on my server. Seems this has begun ever since the service was merged into the new BI5 executable. It has improved somewhere over the course of patches, but still not 100%.
hevak

Post by hevak »

miles267 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:40 pm Am currently on 5.2.7.2 x64 release but still notice that the BI service stops frequently and must be manually re-started on my server. Seems this has begun ever since the service was merged into the new BI5 executable. It has improved somewhere over the course of patches, but still not 100%.
I’m having the exact same issue. The service has become unreliable for me.
hyborianwar

Post by hyborianwar »

Yes this is a legit issue now and no updates have fixed this. I will begin Troubleshooting myself. I have multi installs so its isolated only happening at 1 locations.
Error is listed below from the apps logs...

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.3.1.5, time stamp: 0x5f244b40
RRackham

Post by RRackham »

Same here, we have 3 different BI installs on windows 10 boxes, 2 on dedicated virtual machines on a dedicated Dell 2016 Hyper V server. We have used this configuration successfully for years on our farm until lately. The unreliability of the BI service has forced us to move to monitoring almost extensively to Chrome (UI3) and not utilize the remote management feature within BI. The service drops out and restarts but the remote connection shuts down killing any remote monitoring/management without manual intervention, at least Chrome will reconnect automatically ( a feature I asked for over a year ago in BI via email "support"). Chrome also forces higher CPU usage

At this point we are reevaluating if we should continue using BI, reverting back to version 4 (No remote management but more stable) or move to other software. We have been using BI since version 2 but they have really dropped the ball on this one
BR116

Post by BR116 »

Same thing for me (much worse with other issues as well) and no "version" available, corrects that. :evil: :evil:
How does one obtain prior version not listed in the GUI?
fnuus

Post by fnuus »

I have the same problem. Every morning the Blue Iris stop running. I use version 5..5.8 x64 from 13-10-2020