Getting close to a final config/solution

Thixotropic

Getting close to a final config/solution

Post by Thixotropic »

I've gotten most of the issues resolved with my BI setup, and wanted to see about a couple of other things, mainly running BI as a service and auto-login to Windows.

If I run BI as a service, does it run before a user is logged in? I'd like to have BI start and run when Windows starts no matter what, including before anyone logs in.

My reason for this is that if I'm away and the power fails, I want the BI box to power back up and start BI when the power is restored. I know the power-restore feature is a setting in the BIOS, so that part will be taken care of, but I want to have BI start up as well. I'll also be auto-starting the ngrok service for access (and Teamviewer as well just in case).

So is it better to run BI as a service in this scenario? I should mention that I'd also want to be able to view the GUI locally and remotely as well.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Re: Getting close to a final config/solution

Post by MikeBwca »

Running as a service would meet your needs.

You can still view locally by double clicking the BI icon. And, you can 'close' BI - which closes the BI console, but leaves the service running.
Remotely & UI3 would work as usual.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:25 pmRunning as a service would meet your needs.
So to be clear...as a service BI will run without a user logging in? Because that would solve pretty much all my problems in one fell swoop.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

Just make sure you read the user manual about how to set it up properly. ( Currently page 156 )
I didn't and wondered why it did not work, turns out you have to set a few things up first so that BI can log in when your P.C starts.
When i got mine sorted i tried it out by restarting my P.C without logging in, and then moving around the cameras and then looking to see what/if anything had recorded.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Thanks, LOOPYLOOP.

I read the manual and made sure to set things up the way it instructs. It looks like I have it running as a service properly, even without a user logging in. I'm not sure about the ngrok service yet, I have to check on that. But everything else seems to be working as near as I can tell.

One change I notice is that when I start the console for BI, it asks for a local user login. I never set this, so I can just hit RETURN to open the console. It's probably not worth fiddling with this, but if I do want to set a password, I'd do that in the BI 'Users' section, correct?
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

Thixotropic wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:20 am One change I notice is that when I start the console for BI, it asks for a local user login. I never set this, so I can just hit RETURN to open the console. It's probably not worth fiddling with this, but if I do want to set a password, I'd do that in the BI 'Users' section, correct?
i believe so, it has only started happening in the last few updates and i find it really annoying as it never used to ask for a login when starting the console.