Separate headless BlueIris server - does GPU help

Ferguson

Re: Separate headless BlueIris server - does GPU help

Post by Ferguson »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:57 pm I disagree a bit. I would spend zero money on a video card until we can confirm the intel on-board GPU is maxed out.

Getting to the root of that problem seems to be the first point. I'll grab a screen shot of my older intel cpu and its load using three 2mp cameras... [edit - sorry, forgot, I chose to use H265 to save disk at the expense of CPU so my data is not relevant.]
I'm delighted to experiment. My problem is I do not know what is "normal", so when I see (for example) 16% GPU utilization and 80-100% CPU during timeline scrub, I have no idea if that is normal or unusual. Note what I see for GPU is from GPU-Z, task manager will not show that GPU at all.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I'll do an experiment at home here and switch my four cameras from 265 to 264 and see what the GPU reports. I'll post back with the results.
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:19 pm I'll do an experiment at home here and switch my four cameras from 265 to 264 and see what the GPU reports. I'll post back with the results.
And what I'm doing in testing (admittedly not exactly real world) is showing all cameras on the UI, the scrubbing back and forth quickly on the clip to drive up usage. The idea is to see, when it is very busy processing such quick change of play-point, what saturates. In my case the CPU saturates while the GPU is in the teens.

And again, maybe that's completely normal.

My system is a ASUS Z77 Sabertooth motherboard with I7-3770K @ 3.50GHz on the latest windows 10, 32GB of memory, clips are stored on a 4-way storage pool (basically raid-0) of WD40PURZ 4TB drives. The disk hits about 65% busy while doing this, CPU near 100%, and GPU in the 15-20% range or lower.

During a live display or regular speed playback GPU stays in the high teens, CPU is 34% +/-, disk is near idle.

While recording continuously (and motion detection is also configured on all cameras) CPU drops to about 13%, GPU to 6%, disk near idle.

Memory remains about 72% used (only about 3G of that is BI, the rest are a couple of VM's running home automation stuff, negligible load). BI is not running in a VM, but the host.