Windows 7 -> 10 upgrade. Now license key not recognized

General discussion about Blue Iris
GummyHorse

Windows 7 -> 10 upgrade. Now license key not recognized

Post by GummyHorse »

Hello,
I just upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Following instructions found here : https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=441
1. Make sure you have your license key.
2. Go to Blue Iris Settings -> About tab.
3. Click on Export Settings ( C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Blue Iris.reg )
4. Deactivate your license from Blue Iris Settings -> About tab.
5. Install Blue Iris 5 on NEW PC.
6. Copy exported settings (Blue Iris.reg) to NEW PC.
7. Import settings on the NEW PC from Blue Iris Settings -> About tab.
8. Enter your license key.
I deactivated Blue Iris on the machine, did the Windows 10 update, uninstalled Blue Iris, downloaded (version 4) reinstalled and then imported my settings.
When I attempted to activate by pasting my licence key, it does not recognize the key and instead I have to use the demo mode.

Can someone explain what I did wrong and how to correct it?

Thanks.
TimG

Re: Windows 7 -> 10 upgrade. Now license key not recognized

Post by TimG »

Hi, it sounds like you followed the instructions from reddawg well, and clearly you have installed BI4 which should just work. I'm afraid it will be an email to support. Don't forget to add your license key.

The only other thing I can think of, is the actual key itself. Are you sure it's the right one, and not an upgrade key, or some other key that you may have picked up ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
BillP

Post by BillP »

Try typing the key in instead of copying and pasting, Some programs don't like pasted keys.
GummyHorse

Post by GummyHorse »

Thanks for the help. Weirdly, it simply fixed itself. I pasted the licence key into the box and it said it was invalid. A couple of days later, I noticed that it now has the key (well, the slightly obfuscated version) in the Registration box with a "Deactivate" button below. I assume this means that it finally accepted the key.

New question: should I upgrade to version 5? The one thing I really dislike about the BI is the way it triggers on clouds/shadows/moving tree branches, etc. It makes it almost useless for outdoor use.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I wonder if the weirdness was caused by some snafu in the network authentication; I'm fairly certain it phones home for validation and maybe there's some issue that was going on there. This is just a guess, I don't know how it really works.
GummyHorse wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:24 pm Thanks for the help. Weirdly, it simply fixed itself. I pasted the licence key into the box and it said it was invalid. A couple of days later, I noticed that it now has the key (well, the slightly obfuscated version) in the Registration box with a "Deactivate" button below. I assume this means that it finally accepted the key.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS