Multiple Storage Drives

General discussion about Blue Iris
matgyver85

Multiple Storage Drives

Post by matgyver85 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:20 am

Hello, I am configuring BI5 to store video to four separate HDDs.

My questions pertains to the logic of the storage configuration.

If I...

Set each drive as a storage folder

Set a limit on size just under the size of drive

Apply an action to "move" to the next cascading folder/drive when size limit is reached;

Does this "move" the previoisly saved files from one drive to the next (which seems to be the worst thing to do if we're concerned about system resources or drive life), or

Does this "move" the storage location to the next drive (leaving previous drive in an idle state? (This seems it would be the best for system resources and drive longevity)

If this configuration would transfer the files from previous drive to next drive, then I would probably set it up to split my cameras up between the drives, so that I would have an even amount of cameras per drive.

I was thinking that this would probably be my best option, but this idea makes another setting seem irrational...

The guide for BI5 shows that NEW and Database folder locations should be on the fastest storage device due to "frequent access".

If I set groups of cams to save to each of my four drives;
Will this bypass the NEW folder and cause slow retrieval of new files which are no longer stored in the NEW folder on the fast drive?

Please advise to how the logic of the storage structure works.

Thanks for your time!

TimG

Re: Multiple Storage Drives

Post by TimG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi, yes, if you set up all of the drives to move the files to the next drive when full, then it would indeed move the oldest files to the next drive in a cascade manner - not a good idea.

Many people only use one drive. In that case, you only need one folder, as there is no point in moving the files between folders (i.e New to Storage) on the same drive. It is your decision on how to set it up, but I presently have the BI database and all cameras recording to a separate SSD drive (the fast drive), and then move them to a slower storage drive as it gets full. Since my storage drive is a 4TB WD Purple, I could probably get away without the SSD. Quite simply, the SSD was in my spares box, so it went in to the PC !

How many cameras are you going to use ? That will determine whether you need to split the cameras between the drives or not.
Blue Iris v5.2.4.4 | Win10 Pro x64 | Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Foscam R2, Ertech 4MP, 2 analogue cameras on Euresys Picolo Pro 2 | FX-8350 AMD Piledriver CPU, 32GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD| Homeseer HS3(4) Pro | TVMosaic | Emby | DVBViewer |

Thixotropic

Re: Multiple Storage Drives

Post by Thixotropic » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:53 pm

matgyver85 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:20 am
If this configuration would transfer the files from previous drive to next drive, then I would probably set it up to split my cameras up between the drives, so that I would have an even amount of cameras per drive.
This is just my opinion, but I think in most cases using multiple drive arrays and moving data around is usually more trouble than it's worth. That's just my take on it.

I looked at doing cascade archiving, cloud uploads, etc and decided that for me it didn't make a lot of sense. I ended up just getting a small NS and dropping a couple of 4TB drives in it in a RAID configuration. It's well-protected but nothing super fancy.

My needs are fairly ordinary, so if you have lots of cameras or need bulletproof, no-fail storage with an accountability trail (like CoC stuff) then you may need to use something more elaborate.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary, lol.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | Ngrok Tunneling