Don't update Win 10 just yet, serious bug present

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

Don't update Win 10 just yet, serious bug present

Post by Thixotropic »

Don't update Win 10 just yet, there's a serious bug present that can really hammer your PC.

"Reports are increasing across Twitter and Microsoft forums that following the most recent Patch Tuesday update (KB4532693), users are complaining that their profiles and desktop files are missing, and that custom icons and wallpaper have all been reset to their default state...

The KB4532693 update is allegedly causing much more serious headaches for some users. A newer report by Windows Latest cites multiple users in their comments section complaining that the data is nowhere to be found and allegedly not recoverable.

Microsoft has now "yanked KB4524244 from its update servers..." reports ZDNet, "after acknowledging reports of 'an issue affecting a sub-set of devices.'"

Microsoft says customers who have successfully installed the update don't need to take any further steps. Those who have configured PCs to defer installation of updates by at least four days should also be unaffected.

For those who are experiencing issues related to this update, Microsoft recommends uninstalling the update."

Seriously, a Linux version of BI would get my money in an instant, even at twice the price. (HINT HINT)
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
LOOPYLOOP

Re: Don't update Win 10 just yet, serious bug present

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

thanks for the heads up, luckily i delay updates to a time i chose for just this reason. long gone are the days that microsoft do real world testing before releasing updates, they just do the basic perfect world testing then release for the end user to pick up the bugs.
TimG

Post by TimG »

What a crazy world. On one side I am being told to update Windows NOW due to the latest perceived risk, and then something like this happens.

I did do the Win10 updates on three pc's, and have had no problems at all. If I did have problems, then at least I could fall back on my monthly backups (Complete with an off site copy). Ho hum...
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

It seems like in most cases there's no problem with the udate, but when it does mess up apparently it's bad.

I update my Win 10 BI box about once a month. No updates are installed unless I approve them manually, period. No automatic updates, no exceptions, zero, zip, nada. I defer anything that's less than a week old.

Frankly, I'm not sure I ever really need to update it since all it does is run BI, but with Microsoft's craptastic record of vulnerabilities I feel like I should do it occasionally just in case.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS