Since ONVIF Suspended Dahua and Hikvision...

General discussion about Blue Iris
Humbug

Since ONVIF Suspended Dahua and Hikvision...

Post by Humbug »

Since these camera manufacturers were suspended (expelled) from ONVIF last year due to the USA, do you guys still recommend them?

I was looking at getting hikvision to increase the number of cameras but when googling I ran across this information on securitytoday.com. As from this point they can't create new devices that are ONVIF conformant.
TimG

Re: Since ONVIF Suspended Dahua and Hikvision...

Post by TimG »

Ouch :!:

Now that IS news. If most reasonably priced cctv cameras are made in the far east, does that mean Onvif is effectively dead as far as we are concerned ? Or is it fake news ? Time to do some reading to see how deep the rabbit hole goes...
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Initial findings at https://www.onvif.org/about/member-list/ shows Dahua and HikVision to both be Full members of Onvif.

Can you add a URL reference for the information in your original post ?
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I had searched for this also, and found the following info...

Looks like these arn't the only two! Probably nothing to worry about. It will all settle down.

From Oct 14, 2019...
https://securitytoday.com/articles/2019 ... ision.aspx

And this interesting article from IPVM on 1/15/2020, ONVIF [Un]Trashed Statement, Confirms Dahua and Hikvision Still Suspended... https://ipvm.com/reports/onvif-statement

The original statement from ONVIF... (not sure when it was posted, or, if it's legit)
Media Statement – Member Suspension

As a result of the addition of several companies to the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR) Entity list on October 9, 2019, ONVIF has suspended the access of affected member companies from certain member-only information. This includes a member’s ability to submit additional products for conformance based on future releases of the test tools or allow their representatives to participate in ONVIF committees and working groups.The status of the members’ existing conformant products remains unchanged as a result of these sanctions.

ONVIF took this action to ensure compliance with U.S. export law and the suspension will remain in effect until the companies are removed from the EAR list by the US government.

The following ONVIF member companies have been suspended:

Dahua Technology
Hikvision Digital Technology
Huawei Technologies
Shanghai Yitu Technology
Pixel Design Sdn. Bhd – Affiliate (Hikvision Digital Technology)
Lorex – Affiliate- (Dahua Technology)

It seems to me that ONVIF is attempting to 'nudge' these manufactures with a gentle warning.
TimG

Post by TimG »

By jove, I do believe you have it right there old chap :idea:
Forum Moderator.