Want to setup clip search length to 7 days

General discussion about Blue Iris
Magnus33

Want to setup clip search length to 7 days

Post by Magnus33 »

So if the owner wants to log in by the browser and search back 7 days for a clip he can.

The primary drive is a 120 gig ssd and the storage is 6 tb so space shouldn't be a issue.

Just a little vague on the settings for this.
HeneryH

Re: Want to setup clip search length to 7 days

Post by HeneryH »

Retention time for video or literally clip-length=7d?

If you literally want clips to have 7 days in one clip file that would be strange so I am assuming you are not intending that.

I'm not at my console now so I don't know the exact setting screens/tabs but you can easily set your retention to be either size or duration based.

I have a separate drive and allocate 100% of it to video and use size-available retention rules rather than time-based retention rules. That way I know that I am keeping everthing I am able to keep given my current disks.
Magnus33

Post by Magnus33 »

Retention time for clips and certainly not a 7 day clip ( hate to have to go through that video lol)
TimG

Post by TimG »

The settings are in the main BI5 setting page. You can set up folders such as NEW and STORAGE, and can set them to max out on days or size. If you are recording to one drive, there is no point in having two folders, so just put NEW on the 6TB drive, and set it to delete files after 7 days or more.

You don't mention if this is recording 24/7 or on motion only.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:59 pm You don't mention if this is recording 24/7 or on motion only.
This is something worth discussing- record on motion/trigger only, or just record everything 24/7. Which do people use, and why?

I record on motion/trigger events, but not 24/7. Recording 24/7 seems like it would suck up a lot of bandwidth and possibly disk space, depending on your retention settings.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I record 24x7 and also use triggers to add flags where motion is detected.

My rationale is 1) disk space is cheap 2) I don't have a crazy number of cameras and perhaps most importantly 3) I have had failed detection events that might have been missed had I not had 24x7 enabled.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Ever wonder what happened seconds before that trigger ? Well wonder no more, 24/7 recording with triggers is the answer :lol:

Yes, hard drives are cheap enough, or I'm old enough that I can afford them !
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Magnus33

Post by Magnus33 »

Sorry for the late reply was doing the hospital thing.

Three of the cameras are doing full time recording and the others are all motion triggered.

Sort of figured i could just set the drive to the 6 tb but figured its best to check with the expert just encase :)