Spiders driving my system crazy

General discussion about Blue Iris
jmmatthews20

Spiders driving my system crazy

Post by jmmatthews20 »

I've been having trouble with spiders building webs on my foscam bullet cams and when they switch to IR I get motion alerts on blue Iris like crazy. I have been using the person detection but I still get a lot of false alarms. Any tips?
TimG

Re: Spiders driving my system crazy

Post by TimG »

Hi, for my Dahua, I have turned off the IR, which is enough in the UK to prevent most spiders from sunbathing in front of the camera. Additional separate IR lighting could be one answer. I also have motion detection on that camera sending a json message to Homeseer to turn the normal outside lights on.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Bullet cams are notorious for that. Turrets fare much better.

I wonder if there are any repellents that work for decent amounts of time.
TimG

Post by TimG »

The added benefit of turning the camera IR off, is that it no longer trips repeatedly with fog. And we get a lot of that in blighty :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

i used some repellent spray from amazon once (spraying the sides and around the camera avoiding the lens), i stopped using it though just in case it was toxic to the blue tits that started helping clear the cobwebbs by eating the spiders. i now use a really long duster every so often to clear what the tits miss.
TimG

Post by TimG »

With my two analogue cameras mounted just under the eaves, the IR is simply on at night with no control available. These do attract spiders, and are terrible in fog. I noted that there are various ventilation holes in the horizontal boards which allow a new spider to quickly replace the one I have just removed, but spraying fly killer spray into the hidden cavity has massively reduced this.
Forum Moderator.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

TimG wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:16 pm but spraying fly killer spray into the hidden cavity has massively reduced this.
MURDERER :shock: :shock: :lol: