What are you using for cloud storage?

General discussion about Blue Iris
ktuc

Post by ktuc »

I've been syncing my BI files to Google Drive for a while. It works OK but the way the files are updated causes a large amount of files to be overwritten and sent to the Google Drive Trash. I have to regularly empty it else my account fills up. I use Google Photos as well and have a large amount of personal stuff stored. I'm on the 200gb plan which is like $30/yr.

I was considering buying O365 Personal to get Onedrive storage which is 1TB at $7/mo. That ends up costing the same as upgrading Google Drive to 2TB at $100/yr, or $70 more than my current plan.
Thixotropic

Re: What are you using for cloud storage?

Post by Thixotropic »

I don't use any cloud storage.

I ran the numbers and realized that it was much less expensive in the long run to buy a low-cost NAS and dump everything to it. It's hidden and locked up so it (and the stored footage) can't be stolen.

With that said, Onedrive storage of 1TB at $7/mo is a pretty good deal. If I was going to store stuff in the could that would be an attractive option.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I don't record to cloud either.

Too much data volume, too much bandwidth, not enough value add.

I have a couple of purple drive that get me 2 weeks of storage before overwriting and that is enough for me.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:25 pmToo much data volume, too much bandwidth, not enough value add.
Yep, constantly sending recorded video streams to a cloud provider is going to slam the connection.

My NAS is well-hidden and locked up, I doubt anyone robbing the house is going to be able to find it or remove it. Plus, each of the cameras records to its own local SD card, so to get rid of the video they'd have to tear out all the cameras as well.

I may choose later to have the system upload some snapshots or jpgs to one of my servers but I don't see a real need for it at this time.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

It's always cloudy in England, so I just use the PC that I built for Blue Iris. I have a 4TB storage drive specifically for BI. That gives me a months storage recording 24/7, so 200GB wouldn't be of much use here.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

I have SD Cards in the Cameras
The BI Active folders are on 1 TB WD Purple drives which live sync to OneDrive. Configured to CAP at 8 Megabits per second (ie: 10,000 kilobytes per second).
Our internet is slow 20 Mbps upload, and I find the above doesn't conflict with my usage or my plex users...:) I have heard of people uploading their sub-streams only.
I use H.265 format to keep the files low.
I also archive off to a NAS, but my NAS could be stolen with a bit of effort.

I was using google drive, but found once you have a lot of data the client becomes quite CPU intensive and upon restart takes a while to re-establish sync.
I use MPEG4 format, but may go back to BVR. MPEG comes in handy to quickly provide a high copy version (without access to the cameras) or the BI Drives.

Watching this thread for ideas.

PS; I don't use the cameras FTP upload as that is insecure, should re-check to see what other protocols they now support as it has been a while.
DCOHN99

Post by DCOHN99 »

Wasabi is excellent. $5 per TB per month. No egress charges ever.

Must leave data 90 days
quest100

Post by quest100 »

If I were going to do this I would use BackBlaze to backup my BI computer. For $60 per year they will backup an unlimited amount of data for one computer. They keep any file for 30 days after it has been deleted from your computer. For an extra $2 a month they will extend the retention period to one year. I am using BackBlaze on my personal computer and have been extremely happy with it.

My system generates about 30TB a month that is stored locally on a 10TB disk. For $84 a year I could retain 360TB of data for one year after it gets deleted from the BI computer.

Why am I not doing this? Mainly the upload charges would be $50 per month. Not even close to being worth it to me. Next year I plan on adding a couple of external hard drives and possibly hiding them.

----
quest100
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

quest100 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:26 amWhy am I not doing this? Mainly the upload charges would be $50 per month. Not even close to being worth it to me. Next year I plan on adding a couple of external hard drives and possibly hiding them.
That's what I did. I bought a small NAS, put it in a plain black battery box with some scary "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" stickers, and added a fan to the box to make sure it stays cool. Then I hid the box in a closet, fastened down so it would be hard to take. If I saw the box the last thing I'd do is try to open it, lol. Between the BI video and the video stored in the cameras themselves I should have a video record no matter what happens.
Rahaboss

Post by Rahaboss »

ktuc wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:58 pm What are you using for cloud storage?

I've been syncing my BI files to Google Drive for a while. It works OK but the way the files are updated causes a large amount of files to be overwritten and sent to the Google Drive Trash. I have to regularly empty it else my account fills up. I use Google Photos as well and have a large amount of personal stuff stored. I'm on the 200gb plan which is like $30/yr.

I was considering buying O365 Personal to get Onedrive storage which is 1TB at $7/mo. That ends up costing the same as upgrading Google Drive to 2TB at $100/yr, or $70 more than my current plan.
Ouch, my plan was to use Google Drive but the "manually empty trash" surely sounds annoying.

Dropbox seems to pop up a lot when searching for "blue iris cloud backup". I'll take a look at that option once my devices arrive.

Marking this thread for future.