A way to receive 4 cameras

General discussion about Blue Iris
HeneryH

Re: A way to receive 4 cameras

Post by HeneryH »

I don't want the 2nd PC to be a BI server, I just want to be able to view the cameras through a browser from wherever I am. Does BI provide anything like that?
Your scenario is different than the original poster. But yet, your desire is supported. The OP wanted a server in one location taking feeds from cameras in another location which is possible but a bad idea on many fronts.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:58 am Thixotropic: Is that post connected to this thread ? If it is, then the OP could use Splashtop or Teamviewer.
I looked at Splashtop, but sadly it doesn't support Linux. I've been using Teamviewer but I'd really like a way to be able to view the cams using just a browser.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I'd really like a way to be able to view the cams using just a browser.
I'm confused by the scenario. If you have BI running at the location where the cameras are, then BI has an internal web server so that you can do nearly all of your day to day viewing via the web browser.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:04 pm I'm confused by the scenario. If you have BI running at the location where the cameras are, then BI has an internal web server so that you can do nearly all of your day to day viewing via the web browser.
That's what I was asking about, but I probably didn't communicate it clearly.

Does the web server or remote viewing capability require the app or can the cams be viewed natively in a browser?

Is there a guide to getting BI setup for this? In short I guess I'm asking what I need to do to make use of this feature. I've heard all sorts of cautions and horror stories about port forwarding and letting cameras out on the web, so I'm trying to do this the right way.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

The standard model is to have BI running in the same location as the cameras. This allows BI to collect feeds from the cameras in a secure and local network. You would very much like to block access to the cameras as they are notoriously insecure.

You would then use the BI web interface to view when remote.

There are levels of access and security that you can grant to BI as discussed in https://blueirissoftware.com/Forum/view ... 1425#p1424
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

You can use any web browser and log into your BI server using the BI Webserver - provided...
- the Webserver is enabled
- the BI User ID has the appropriate permissions/settings.
- You have some means of getting thru your router (port forwarding).

Using the BI phone app is the easiest way, but, you can also use a browser - even on your phone.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Port forwarding. Bah Humbug !

OpenVPN is working well here with BI and my android mobile, but it took adding a non standard home router to get it sorted. I am running OpenVPN on an Asus RT-AC86U with the Merlin firmware. I'm also using the Asus DDNS service to give me a fixed url to log in to.

This could certainly be used with a remote pc browser, and it would be relatively secure.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.