Hard Drive Filling Up

General discussion about Blue Iris
kayfersmum

Re: Hard Drive Filling Up

Post by kayfersmum »

TimG wrote:Well there's some good information here, and I can't see anything wrong with your settings either. If the deletion and rebuilding of the folders for storage does work, that would hint at a database error. Is this a BI4 system updated to BI5 ? Mine is, and again, all is well here.

One thing I have done, is to put the NEW folder on a separate SSD. That would prevent it affecting Windows10, or being affected by it. The main storage drive is a 4TB surveillance drive, but I think that only helps longevity rather than day to day functionality.

Please let us know if the folder rebuild sorts it out. Oh - and let us know any gems that BI support sends to you so we can help others :idea:

Thank you. I did also upgrade from BI4 to 5 which initially went without a hitch Image

Will let you know how it goes. Got everything crossed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TimG

Post by TimG »

The more I think about this, the more it feels like a problem with BI5 and another software fighting for hard drive resources. My system has been completely stable running the New folder and the BI5 database on a separate 250GB SSD, and the Storage folder on a separate 4TB surveillance drive.

If your BI5 installation is battling hard drive resources with some Windows function (i.e. page file etc), then maybe we can figure out what is happening by understanding the following:

1. Is the BI5 NEW folder on the C: drive or a separate drive ? Add details.
2. Are your storage folders on the C: drive or a separate drive ? Add details.

If we get enough info, hopefully somebody will be able to make sense of what is going on here !
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Have you turned off indexing on that drive?
Also, check to make sure the drive is not being compressed.
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

TimG wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm The more I think about this, the more it feels like a problem with BI5 and another software fighting for hard drive resources. My system has been completely stable running the New folder and the BI5 database on a separate 250GB SSD, and the Storage folder on a separate 4TB surveillance drive.

If your BI5 installation is battling hard drive resources with some Windows function (i.e. page file etc), then maybe we can figure out what is happening by understanding the following:

1. Is the BI5 NEW folder on the C: drive or a separate drive ? Add details.
2. Are your storage folders on the C: drive or a separate drive ? Add details.

If we get enough info, hopefully somebody will be able to make sense of what is going on here !
Apologies for the delay in responding, but I’ve been away. I’m happy to report that since I deleted the contents of the folders I’ve not experienced this storage issue again. I’m hoping that’s fixed it 🤞

In answer to your questions,

1. the New folders are on C: drive
2. The stored folders are on a separate external hard drive on e:

Really appreciate everyone’s support on this :D
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

MikeBwca wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:55 pm Have you turned off indexing on that drive?
Also, check to make sure the drive is not being compressed.
Hi, I can confirm Indexing is turned off and as far as I can tell the drives are not being compressed.
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

Hard drive has filled up again this morning :( :shock: :?