Cannot start Blue Iris Program

jmfixitman

Re: Cannot start Blue Iris Program

Post by jmfixitman »

advertstore wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:57 pm Historic updates are available here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/tools/blueirisupdates/
Thanks!

I saw those and the files seemed small so I was woried they might be viruses since it's not a BI site ?...
IPCamMan

Post by IPCamMan »

If anyone is also a member of IP Cam Talk...
if you have seen any threads on this problem, please link to them here so we can monitor both
forums. The more info that is available to Blue Iris owners the better. Thank you !
IAmATeaf

Cannot start Blue Iris Program

Post by IAmATeaf »

jmfixitman wrote:
advertstore wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:57 pm Historic updates are available here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/tools/blueirisupdates/
Thanks!

I saw those and the files seemed small so I was woried they might be viruses since it's not a BI site ?...
Those files are hosted on the other site, not BI but I’ve certainly used them.

They are just the update files hence the smaller size.
roffoch

Post by roffoch »

I have the same issue and this is the response I received from Blue Iris, Seems they are forcing people to buy new support/software, trying to blame windows update yet I have no new updates listed in my windows update, so I believe it was sent by Blue Iris themselves to force people to pay more money for software they have already bought.

" Hello,

Apologies! Windows recently pushed out an update requiring all applications to have a current code signing certificate in order to run. This certificate is a way for developers and the operating system to guarantee your software is safe, and not modified by viruses, etc. These certificates also expire, and as our developer is focused on the latest release of the software, it is not possible for us to maintain the certificate for past releases, so it is recommended for customers to be running the latest release.

If you are currently running a release published before October 2022, I would recommend the following:
• Update to the latest release of Version 5 to resolve the issue.
(If you are out of maintenance and support coverage, and unable to do this, you can renew your plan from the Support page of blueirissoftware.com.)
• Do a full reinstall of the software, rather than just apply the update.
(Make sure you have your settings handy, and if you're unable to use the Export button from the About tab in Settings, your settings are stored in the Windows registry. If you are able to mount that registry, you can export the file from: HKLM\Software\Perspective Software) [please note: if you export from Regedit, you also will need to import via regedit as well using the menu option there, or by just double-clicking the file through Windows.]

*The full install of the software can then be found through the Download page of blueirissoftware.com
ahmadmob

Post by ahmadmob »

roffoch wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:06 pm " Hello,

Apologies! Windows recently pushed out an update requiring all applications to have a current code signing certificate in order to run..."
Ye tell them this is BS, as I said in my previous post, I have BI running on a PC that didn't have windows update (completely disabled with gpedit) for more than a year and yet it was hit by this certificate issue.
roffoch

Post by roffoch »

ahmadmob wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:16 pm
roffoch wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:06 pm " Hello,

Apologies! Windows recently pushed out an update requiring all applications to have a current code signing certificate in order to run..."
Ye tell them this is BS, as I said in my previous post, I have BI running on a PC that didn't have windows update (completely disabled with gpedit) for more than a year and yet it was hit by this certificate issue.

I did tell them they are full of it, My PC also does not have any new updates from Windows and Blue Iris has always worked until the last couple days. I personally believe it is just Blue Iris's way to soak more money from customers, Not only do you need to pay a quite a bit for the software, Now we will need to keep paying for "support" or they simply pull the Certificate. or only allow the Certificate to be "good" for a year or so before these issues again arise, so I guess its time for all to find new Camera Software or use the "remove certificate" option, which works.
jasonostrander

Post by jasonostrander »

I have the same issue. So I re-installed it now I only get evaluation copy message arcros all cameras plu it just crashesl
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

IPCamMan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:20 pm Wow, thank you Seagull for that very detailed reply / tutorial on how to do this !
Happy to share a solution that works and doesn't mess with the security on the rest of the system.

I would also think it is worth trying to stop the conspiracy theory that BI caused this. IF they wanted to kill the app and force an upgrade, then there are better ways to do that.

I believe a Windows PC even with updates off still synchronises and updates the certificate store in some way. It needs to otherwise you'd loose web access to other items. Once that Thwaite certificate was marked as untrusted, then windows knew not to trust it.

I don't blame BI sales\support to attempt to use this as a sales opportunity. I gave them $70 four years ago for a quality product, and don't mind now giving them an extra $30 for all those years untroubled CCTV I have had from them. I won't upgrade all of my installs, some will be fine with this cert removal hack.

That small investment years ago has saved one of my clients many thousands in not loosing stock.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

In the grand scheme of things $35 + vat/tax isn’t that bad a price to pay and to be fair to them BI did change the cert authority they were using to sign the app.

Not too sure I like their reply, being too busy to deal with a big issue isn’t exactly great CS.
IPCamMan

Post by IPCamMan »

8:44 pm EST, just wanted to share a MAJOR UPDATE,
I just tried to start Blue Iris the regular way I had been doing for ages, and it is now magically working again !
I did NOTHING to modify any settings, it's just working again ! :D