Send email alerts but without going to "sent"? [SOLVED]

General discussion about Blue Iris
rumplestilts

Send email alerts but without going to "sent"? [SOLVED]

Post by rumplestilts »

I don't think BI has a built-in way of handling this but I'll ask how others may finagle it.

When BI emails an alert with some attached jpgs, my service (Gmail in this case) also puts a copy into my "Sent" folder so I have double work to not only delete the received alerts but then have to delete those same emails in the "Sent" folder.

Anyone have any ideas to prevent those sent emails from ending up in the Sent folder? If I send manually with my desktop email client, I know how to configure that but, of course, BI bypasses that and logs into Gmail directly.

Suggestions appreciated. I can even use another email service if necessary

Thanks,
Barry
Last edited by rumplestilts on Fri May 14, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aesterling

Re: Send email alerts but without going to "sent"?

Post by aesterling »

Possible to make a gmail filter that automatically does this based on your criteria?

That said, it might make more sense to just create a separate gmail account for Blue Iris to use.
rumplestilts

Re: Send email alerts but without going to

Post by rumplestilts »

aesterling wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:13 pm Possible to make a gmail filter that automatically does this based on your criteria?

That said, it might make more sense to just create a separate gmail account for Blue Iris to use.
Anything I do -at- gMail will only happen when/if I actually am -at- the gMail page. Likewise, I'd need to be running my eMail client app to have anything happen there. Might be able to cobble together some sort of automation in Thunderbird.

If I use a dedicated gMail account for the sending of these alerts eMails (and then ignore that account thereafter), I'd end up with a boatload of "sent" eMails which Google will not automatically remove (unless I create some sort of managed business account for $$$$).

Thanks,
Barry
rumplestilts

Re: Send email alerts but without going to "sent"? [Solved]

Post by rumplestilts »

Finally found an answer to my question...and, of course, it was something I already was using.

iCloud mail has a checkbox which, when enabled, doesn't save SENT emails. So I just enabled the checkbox, changed the BI outgoing server to my iCloud eMail account (which required an app-specific password due to Apple's security). Now my eMails from BI are sent through my iCloud account (which doesn't save the Sent messages so I have no need to worry about exceeding my iCloud quota) to my Outlook eMail account. Outlook.com will delete all items in the Trash after 30 days so I don't need to be persnickety about emptying the Trash once I delete any incoming Alert eMails.

Problem solved.
:D
Thixotropic

Re: Send email alerts but without going to "sent"? [Solved]

Post by Thixotropic »

I've found variations of this suggestion on several sites but I don't know if it works.

Create a Filter in Gmail with the settings: add "in:sent" (without quotation marks) in the field for matching words and set the "Action" to "Delete".

Make sure you match some key words or it'll probably delete all sent mail.

I haven't tried this but it seems like it should work.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS