Newbie Question

General discussion about Blue Iris
DerrickB

Newbie Question

Post by DerrickB »

Hi All. This might be a stupid newbie question but I'm new to Blue Iris so bear with me. I'm not even sure what to search for at this point so perhaps you can point me in the right direction. I've recently installed a couple of Amcrest cameras, one doorbell cam at the front door and one floodlight cam at the back door. I have both the free Amcrest software and Blue Iris running right now for comparison. What has me perplexed is that Blue Iris is sometimes missing what for lack of a better term I'll call "exit activity". Let's say I go out of the front door to get the mail and come back in. I get an alert from both Amcrest and Blue Iris. Amcrest nearly always shows two video clips, one as I exit the house and one as I come back in. Blue Iris though, for reasons I haven't yet figured out, often only has a clip of me coming back in the house. It's the same at the back door. I let the dog out into the yard to do her business. She does it and comes back in. I get an alert. Amcrest shows the dog going out and coming in. But Blue Iris only shows the clip of the dog coming back in. It does not seem likely that either I or the dog is not triggering the motion sensor in Blue Iris on exit. We certainly trigger it on the way back in. It doesn't happen every time but often enough. Why am I not getting an alert and video clip when we go outside?
atreyu

Re: Newbie Question

Post by atreyu »

I’m not at my computer to see the details of the settings names but two primary thoughts.

It may be as simple as increasing the pretrigger buffer. I have mine at 30 seconds. So when it gets triggered it will start the clip with the buffer 30s ago.

See how it is being triggered. You can either turn on continuous record and a setting to show the trigger boxes (which are also recorded), or I think there is a way you can have a clip and manually run it through the trigger detection to see how it would be interpreted. It should let you play with options and fine tune.

Last bonus thought, ensure you don’t have “limit decoding unless required” checked. That will slow trigger detection down to only key frames which depending on the camera could be only every 4 or 5 seconds.

Good luck!
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Is it not recording the missed event or is it just not alerting?

There is a setting somewhere that says only alert if the trigger is x minutes past the previous one. The goal is to reduce multiple alerts for the same event.
jondwalters

Post by jondwalters »

I have my pre-record buffer set to 5 seconds and I always catch the source of the motion moving into the frame. What's your CPU usage like?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is when a noob comes here to ask a question then goes totally silent.
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

HeneryH wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 pm One thing that rubs me the wrong way is when a noob comes here to ask a question then goes totally silent.
Yes.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Agree although I think it's partly because by default you aren't notified when there is a response. You have to manually request a Notify of reply
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

DerrickB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:03 pm Hi All.
Responses have been posted
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
DerrickB

Post by DerrickB »

Sorry guys, I checked for the first couple of days and there were no responses and then I got side tracked. I didn't see a notification of any responses either. My apologies, I didn't mean to blow you guys off.

I'd like to say that I "fixed" the problem but it would more accurate to say I fiddled around with the settings until it went away. I suspect it ended up being the sensitivity settings, maybe the Make time but I'm not absolutely sure. I would say it's been working perfectly but then yesterday, for the first time in a few weeks, it missed triggering on the FedEx guy dropping off a package. Different issue though. I'll play around with that a bit and create a separate post if I can't figure it out. I have an idea what the issue is.