sub streams

General discussion about Blue Iris
VerySecure

sub streams

Post by VerySecure »

I am a little confused over the use of sub-streams.

The manual refers to sub-streams being used with 4MP cameras. I have 2MP cameras that provide a sub-stream. I have "Record dual-stream if available" enabled but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that this is in fact working.

Can someone clarify?
Blue Iris 5.4.X | refurbished HP ProDesk 600 | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i5-4590 CPU | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD for OS/BI | 240GB SSD for media | 3 SD cameras | 6 HD cameras
Matts1984

Re: sub streams

Post by Matts1984 »

You can definitely use sub streams on other camera resolutions. Sub streams are used for processing/monitoring for motion while the main stream is used for viewing and is what is recorded. You're correct I think in some funky way both are recorded now or something, but that aside, using sub streams should significantly lower CPU usage as all processing is done on a much lower resolution feed.

You can verify yours is set up by viewing the Blue Iris Status window... on the Cameras tab should show a FPS/Key and associated Bitrate AS WELL AS a Sub FPS/Key and Sub Bitrate. If the sub isn't showing anything, you're not configured right - yet.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
VerySecure

Post by VerySecure »

Matts1984 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:03 am You can verify yours is set up by viewing the Blue Iris Status window... on the Cameras tab should show a FPS/Key and associated Bitrate AS WELL AS a Sub FPS/Key and Sub Bitrate. If the sub isn't showing anything, you're not configured right - yet.
Thanks for the info Matts1984. Both "Sub FPS/key" and "Sub Bitrate" columns are clear of any data (I hadn't noticed these fields before). I obviously don't have things configured right, but I don't know where the problem is. I'll have to poke around some more....
Blue Iris 5.4.X | refurbished HP ProDesk 600 | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i5-4590 CPU | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD for OS/BI | 240GB SSD for media | 3 SD cameras | 6 HD cameras
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

Here’s a question I’ve been meaning to ask. With configuring a camera as a single dual stream, can you continuously record the SD stream and only trigger recordings on the HD stream?

Ideally it would be a single recording that Upgrades to HD when triggered.
VerySecure

Post by VerySecure »

I found my problem. The cameras were not configured properly. I had used the "Find/Inspect" tool which auto populated the various fields. It had defined my cameras a Foscam models when they are actually Hosafe models. The config did not include sub-stream definitions. Oddly enough, when I used the Hosafe config (from the drop down selection) it did not work either. I did a manual config of both streams and now everything is working OK.

Thanks to Matts1984 for giving me a nudge in the right direction.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Glad to hear it's working!

And - continuing to help the community yourself by reporting back. To often people just disappear once they fix their problem
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
TimG

Post by TimG »

atreyu: Here’s a question I’ve been meaning to ask. With configuring a camera as a single dual stream, can you continuously record the SD stream and only trigger recordings on the HD stream?

Ideally it would be a single recording that Upgrades to HD when triggered.
Hmm, an interesting thought but I think there would be problems. Is this how it works with a different NVR system that you have seen ?

My main cameras record 24/7 and that logic would reduce the chance of me finding out what happened just before the camera triggered, as it would be in SD. Would there be any point in recording the SD before the trigger ? If it is to save hard drive space - and the SD video is useless for identifying issues - then you may as well only record in HD when it triggers. My "Storage" drive is a 12.7TB drive, and that gives me three months of video with five cameras. Where it might be useful, is if you have many more cameras.

Open for discussion ! We are all learning here :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.