Help! Need Brands that works with Blue Iris

General discussion about Blue Iris
Sabrina

Help! Need Brands that works with Blue Iris

Post by Sabrina »

Hello all, I have found that many brands like Amcrest have terrible apps that defeat the whole purpose of having security systems. So I am starting with a good app, this one, and am trying to choose compatible hardware now.

Can anyone recommend an outdoor PTZ POE camera (up to $300) and NVR (4 channel) that work reliably with Blue Iris app on iOs?

I have spent countless hours researching and feel more confused than ever :? Many, many thanks :D
TimG

Re: Help! Need Brands that works with Blue Iris

Post by TimG »

Hi, why would you need a NVR ? BI5 already does the recording for you, and you need BI5 to be able to use the BI app on IOS :?

As for cameras, I like Dahua starlight very much 8-)
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Thanks Tim, I told you I was confused. So if no NVR where do I plug in the POE cameras? I will also look for a newbie Blue Iris vid that explains how this would work.
Last edited by Sabrina on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yep unless you already have the NVR and are trying to find a way to incorporate it, don't bother. The BI system is your NVR so when building out the hardware, follow IAmATeafs recommendation. In a perfect world you want one drive (SSD would be nice and doesn't need to be huge) for your boot drive and to install BI. Have standard mechanical disk(s) for all your video storage - the more the better but how much really depends on the number of cameras, video quality, and how much time you want stored. 12 to 16GB of RAM is generally plenty yet still pretty low cost. The biggest area to not skimp, as is ALL over this forum, is the CPU. You'll be most happy with a newer Intel CPU and you'll probably kick yourself otherwise.

A simple PoE switch is the easiest and cleanest way to manage cabling, and then yes you'd need a single Cat5e (or better) run to each camera. You originally did ask about cameras, the best part about BI is that it is so flexible on cameras. I've personally been quite happy with my SV3C cameras (only knock really is the firmware update page was hard to find!) but the Dahua/Hikvision recommendation is solid. Most cameras - and I actually mean almost all - on the market are rebrands of one or the other. For example, SV3C cameras are Dahua rebrands.

Network architecture for security and efficiency as well as remote access capabilities is the next area for thought!
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I was looking for a reliable system for my cottage to keep an eye on things remotely. I did not want want to get a pc. The intent was two POE (cottage Is already wired wired) PTZ cameras that through an app I could control everything. I current have wireless Blink, but it has obvious limitations. Can I setup a decent system using BI and no PC? Still confused :|
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi, BI5 needs a fairly powerful Windows pc, and a techie outlook on life to set it up, and keep it going. It won't work without a pc running 24/7 at the remote location. The other options are NVR's (which are like a mini pc running linux) or cloud solutions, but since this is the BI forum, it is what we tend to use 8-)
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

The intent was two POE (cottage Is already wired wired) PTZ cameras
I believe ptz cameras are a "nice to have" to supplement a multiple fixed camera system. If you only had two ptz's, then they would probably be fitted on the front and back of the house, and would would probably be looking the wrong way when the bad guys visited you. It is easy to be misled by Hollywood films, and of course they even have software to increase the resolution of an image. Fanciful stuff, but it makes great movies.

The biggest problem with a store bought nvr system, is that the cameras probably don't see very well in the dark. When you need them the most...

More research required :shock:
Forum Moderator.