BI Using near 100% cpu

General discussion about Blue Iris
aviondubzz

BI Using near 100% cpu

Post by aviondubzz » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 pm

I have just purchased a dedicated pc just for blueiris and recording. I have only added 3 cameras so far and everything is lagging and it says 99% CPU usage. I believe my pc should be more than capable of handling the tasks.
pc.PNG
pc.PNG (8.88 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Matts1984

Re: BI Using near 100% cpu

Post by Matts1984 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:04 pm

Gotcha, yeah 3 cameras shouldn't be hitting it that hard. But there are TONS of settings that can make a big difference. Are the cameras set to do Direct to Disk recording?

Also, can you share a screenshot of your BI "Status-> Cameras" tab? The whole thing including the totals at the bottom (you can obscure IPs if you like but they're probably internal addresses that mean nothing).
LyndMc

Post by LyndMc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:24 pm

If you do a Google search for optimize blue iris, there’s a post that suggests setting changes. One I remember had to do with “direct to disc”, deleting overlays in the cameras themselves helps too. There was also something else about encryption. I followed the settings that were recommended and it helped my 3 camera system.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Yup! I believe this https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-b ... cpu-usage/ is the one you're referring to. I've made gains following it as well. Just be sure not to make a post arguing it or contradicting the moderator :lol:

But really, if you have any other questions about any of this, we're here to help. I'm currently at 4 cameras (with one more in a box waiting) with an older CPU - though more cores - but it cruises under 10% CPU almost all the time.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:48 pm

You need to post more info before people can help. So what cams are you running, are you using substreams, what frame rate, the bitrate, encoding used ....

Does your PC have an SSD? And me personally I’d run BI with a min of 12Gb of RAM, I’ve seen other posts where 8Gb hasn’t been enough.