Blue Iris skips events

General discussion about Blue Iris
Inferno

Blue Iris skips events

Post by Inferno »

I thought I might have had settings wrong or something.

Last night someone came onto my porch and stole a cam. I had it just sitting there watching a spider build it's web.
My porch had a different cam for security.

I know the exact moment that the stolen cam went offline and was able to see that the person was ON the porch.
The fixed camera didn't show a thing. Just a dead spot where there should have been a person stepping onto the porch and then back off.
Blue Iris had every bug that flew by but the ACTUAL THEFT it skipped.

What's up with that?
It does it on all kinds of activity.

The good thing is I have those cameras reporting to another computer and it captured the thief getting onto the porch, stealing the camera, checking people's cars and heading to the next house.

Why is Blue Iris recording everything EXCEPT events?
aerostar

Re: Blue Iris skips events

Post by aerostar »

I'm going to guess that it's a configuration issue. The recordings are fine until there is activity in the scene (i.e. the image changes) at which time the bandwidth shoots up and something in your system can't handle it, be it a network issue or a processing/decoding issue. If the camera in question is in H.265 mode, start there first (switch to straight H264 recording), then turn off any/all hardware acceleration.

Make sure your network pipeline isn't congested, make sure you are storing new clips/alerts to your local (onboard PC) hard drive. Check your CPU usage. Is it high? I'm running 6 cameras, two of them at 2688x1520@25fps, the rest are 3MP running 20-25fps and my CPU often goes down to as little as 7% (without GPU acceleration to assist, so all the work is being done by the CPU).

Problem is there are so many variables it's hard to say for sure. I've spent a good two weeks (at least) tweaking my system and think I've finally got it to a place where I am happy with the performance and reliability.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Can you post videos of both cameras?
TimG

Post by TimG »

This is the reason I record 24/7. Even if there was no alert, you can still go and look what happened. Storage is relatively cheap.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
gbarnas

Post by gbarnas »

Ugh! This very thing! Every spider, ant, or fly that crosses the screen is captured, but the delivery guy walking up to the porch and putting the package there doesn't show up. When we open the door and get the package, it's recorded. Just happened this evening - our neighbor brought a package that was left on his porch by mistake - the video starts with him standing on the porch, not walking up the sidewalk or stairs - like he teleported from his porch to ours. We clearly see him take steps down off the porch - then nothing. My wife walks out to get the packages and we capture the entire event. I've played around with the trigger size and contrast without much success.

I have a Cisco 4506 enterprise switch and barely load it 1% with 6 cameras streaming. The 4506 has six 40G backplane trunks, and the cameras are split across 3 of them, so definitely no network contention.

Cable runs are all well under 100 feet on Cat-6e cable. I do have a 125' run from the core switch to my barn, where an 8-port TuffSwitch is trunked with VLANs for Cameras (3), Phone, and a Media PC. The uplink is 1GB buried in an isolated conduit. These are "critter-cams" positioned to watch the wildlife. The actual door security cameras are all direct runs to the core switch and the runs are roughly 40, 50, and 80 feet in length. All patch cords from the IDX to switch are Cat6e.

Only one camera uses masks as it borders the neighbor's property. I've masked the area above the top of the fence and the sidewalk so it only triggers when someone walks up our parking spot or around our car. All other cameras have no masking as they focus on our property - and the front and back porch cameras are the ones that are important to record accurately. I've set up a 10s pre/post record, which works great when it triggers. It just doesn't trigger consistently.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Please post the BI version # your running (not V4 or V5 - like... 5.3.3.6). Also, if you have updated recently, and the version # you updated from.
gbarnas

Post by gbarnas »

I'm running BI 5.3.3.6 x64 dated 10/8/2020. This was a fresh install on physical hardware (on fresh O/S load, W10 Pro 1909), BI was originally installed on a Hyper-V guest. New platform is an 8-core AMD, 32G RAM, 240G SSD for C:, 4T 7.2K RPM volume for data. All cameras were freshly attached - nothing was backed-up & restored as I totally re-arranged the cameras on the property.

There are 7 active cameras, 3 1K Foscam, 3 4K Anpviz, and 1 960K OEM. CPU is typically 10-14% consuming 595M RAM. All cameras have sub-streams enabled.