Adding camera in a different city to BI 4.x

General discussion about Blue Iris
MJBoater

Adding camera in a different city to BI 4.x

Post by MJBoater »

Simple question I think but I have never tried this... So I have blue iris installed on a laptop at my home in Ohio. Its running BI 4.x. I have a 2nd house in KY with a different cable modem and Router. Can I add a Foscam camera in KY and then use the laptop in Ohio to configure the camera and do all recording? Or do I need to install a 2nd laptop w/BI software in KY? What are the pluses and minus of doing this?

House 1: Has laptop running BI 4.x, Cable modem, Router, 8 Foscam Cameras
House 2: Has Cable modem and Router. Will add 1-4 Foscam Cameras. Does not have a laptop/Does not have BI software installed.
louyo

Re: Adding camera in a different city to BI 4.x

Post by louyo »

I have connected a remote camera to BI (5.0) via VPN. It connects but is not suitable for real time recording. There will periods of "no signal", at least that was my experience. I used a router with openvpn server and static public IP's on both ends. If you don't have static IP's, you would have to put DYNDNS entries in the routers. OK for casual viewing of the cameras, but not real time/all the time. Better to put a decent used computer at the remote site and connect with the BI web server. Be very careful about using port forwarding, we always use VPN.

Lou