Extreme frame drop after some seconds runtime

General discussion about Blue Iris
Knight

Extreme frame drop after some seconds runtime

Post by Knight »

Hello there,

I do have a little problem and need help finding the cause.

I run a BI5 instance with 24 3MP Cameras connected. When restarting the machine, BI loads and all Cameras are running with around 25-30fps. But soon after they hit around 3-5 fps. 1-4 cameras are still running at 30fps but the rest is slowing down significantly. The cameras are working in kind of slomotion.

Investigating the issue I noticed that network speeds are constatantly changing between 16mbit and ~60mbit, while the cameras are configured to put out 4000kbit. (so should be at least 90mbit network utilization)
I thougt this could be a network issue, so I tried to connect the machine with 10gbit which made no difference at all.

I thougt this could be a CPU bottleneck, so I disabled all but 8 cameras. CPU utilisazion is around 40% with motion triggering on or off. No difference.

I thougt this could be a harddrive bottleneck, so I checked the write speed of the harddrive. I can put around 120mbit to the drives. Thinking this could not be enough, I switched NEW-Folder to an SSD. No difference.

I thougt maybe it got to do with pre trigger recording. So I disabled recrording all together. No difference.

Is there anything I could try to fix/find this issue?
TimG

Re: Extreme frame drop after some seconds runtime

Post by TimG »

Hi Knight,

You are certainly doing the right sort of testing. What cpu/ram etc do you have ? how does your pc compare to those here:

https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Knight

Post by Knight »

I thougt the Forum wasn't working because my Thread wasn't there for 2 days. I just now noticed that there is an moderation feature in place. Meanwile I think I solved the problem.

Attached there is an before and after of the Update 5.2.4.4 which fixed the problem completely.

Before:
BI_Screen.png
BI_Screen.png (166.84 KiB) Viewed 12084 times
After:
BI_Screen_2.png
BI_Screen_2.png (144.51 KiB) Viewed 12084 times
Currently I am scared to update further or reboot the system, because I don't know if it goes bad again.
Knight

Post by Knight »

I have to come back to this topic.

I just tried to Update BI to 5.2.6.1 as well as 5.2.7.1 both do have my initial problem.

I reverted back to 5.2.4.4 and everything is fine again, telling me that it must be a BI thing rather than an insufficient hardware problem. With 5.2.4.4 all recordings are perfect, webinterface is working perfect with 25+ fps. With every other Version I have available (5.2.6.1 and 5.2.7.1 and some Version way before 5.2.4.4) everything goes down the drain. CPU usage is maxed, recordings are in slowmotion, webinterface is unusable.

Is there a way we can colaborate to fix this problem in new versions? I do not have update files for the releases between 5.2.4.4 and 5.2.6.1 if they can be downloaded somewere I can test which update is working and which is not.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

The bitrate & keyframe's are also much lower. These are set & sent by the camera! Trying to figure out what in BI could alter these.

With the updates, did the BI update change the Make/Model and other parameters of the cameras?

This sounds like a BI Support issue. Did you send an email to BI support?
Knight

Post by Knight »

The cameras are not altered by BI when this happens, they still send with 30fps but BI is running behind processing these streams.
Up to the point that the feed is running about 3-5 minutes behind. Then there is a jump to live and the next slow down.

I just tried again and make and model are also not altered. Even tried exporting the camera settings then update and import again.

I just send an email to BI support as well.
wogfun

Post by wogfun »

Hi, new user here, only been using BI for a few days. Up until today I've been very impressed with BI's ability to display all 9 Amcrest IP cams in full res at 25-30fps. As a new user I was messing with some of the record trigger settings today when I noticed my liveview performance has taken a nose dive into sub 1FPS territory - as in the clocks skip seconds. I went back reverting everything I can think of (preroll record time, AI) but it's not helping. Then I saw this thread and I'm thinking there's maybe a bug? My CPU usage hardly goes over 15% and I'm running an adequate i7 6900K with 32GB and all recordings are going to the SSD. I can't imagine a hardware bottleneck? Any ideas and sorry for hijacking the thread but I figured it was similar enough to not warrant a new thread. Thanks.
wogfun

Post by wogfun »

After posting last night I was able to narrow the extreme video lag to only when "ACTIVE" was set on the drop down. When set to 0 -INACTIVE all live views run flawless. What I don't understand is even during recording mode CPU usage never goes over 15-20% and before I started messing with the trigger settings my live view was fine regardless of whether I was on ACTIVE or INACTIVE.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Based on what I've read here, yeah, I think it's likely a BI bug. Your hardware appears to be plenty capable of running BI without any problem so I don't think that's it.

You can roll back to a previous version of BI to test this if you want (be sure to export and save your settings first).
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
wogfun

Post by wogfun »

Hi, first of all I still can't post freely on this board - I have a post thats been waiting for an administrator to OK since over a day ago. I'd like to iron out the kinks before my demo period ends and its tough when I can't post here.

I'm at the point where I've uninstalled BI5 and installed BI4, but when it opens up all my cameras populate automatically so I guess BI5 didn't fully uninstall. And most importantly the .5 FPS while in ACTIVE record mode is still going on, with 7% CPU usage.