How many releases is it possible to do in a single week ?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Whereismysupport

How many releases is it possible to do in a single week ?

Post by Whereismysupport »

Seriously. Every time my console restarts the bloody thing wants to do another update.
Have the people in charge at Blue Iris ever heard of change control and quality control in software development lifecycles ?
The whole thing stinks of an amateur bodging fixes together constantly.
After this release, i''m out. Unless they get their software team to design a regualr update cycle that doesn't mess with your head 5 days a week.
Thixotropic

Re: How many releases is it possible to do in a single week ?

Post by Thixotropic »

Personally I'd prefer to have updates made available sooner rather than later, but that's just me. The software doesn't force you to update- you can always click 'No' to refuse it. I don't mind the update frequency, but I'm speaking only for myself.

If you want you can turn off the "check for updates on startup" option if you want. You can also turn off the daily check for updates as well. If everything is working well, there's probably no need for you to update it frequently.

Whereismysupport wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:37 am Seriously. Every time my console restarts the bloody thing wants to do another update.
Have the people in charge at Blue Iris ever heard of change control and quality control in software development lifecycles ?
After this release, i''m out. Unless they get their software team to design a regualr update cycle that doesn't mess with your head 5 days a week.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

Whereismysupport wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:37 am Seriously. Every time my console restarts the bloody thing wants to do another update.
You have the option in Blue Iris to turn off Automatic Updates, which is what I have done. I only manually update to a new version when a needed feature is released. I also wait a good amount of time and follow the forum posts before updating. And I use a Update manager that I wrote to roll back to a previous version of Blue Iris upon a problem. See https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... f=4&t=1034

I would like to see a rating system for Blue Iris versions inside the Blue Iris app that updates a central database. Similar to how amazon works. This way you can see the rating number (4.4), how many 5 star ratings, how many 4 star ratings, etc. This would make it easier to decide whether to update to a newer version or not.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
TimG

Post by TimG »

How many releases ? According to ancient written text, that would be 42.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum really, as it's nice to know that Ken is listening to our queries and support emails, and is sending out regular updates. Software like TvMosaic (Used to be DVBLink) appears to be dead in the water now. I would love to see an update for that, people on that forum are crying out for updates.

I have BI5 set to look for updates only when I reboot the pc, and I can choose then if I want it or not. Add to that the two methods available here to do backups of BI5 updates, and your BI5 journey through life should be relatively smooth.

Now Covid-19, that really IS a problem :|
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm Now Covid-19, that really IS a problem :|
Agreed.

It would be nice to have an "off topic" or "chit chat" forum here for general discussions, so stuff doesn't get mixed in with the support conversations.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

BI5 is being continuously improved. See the Update notes in the help file. If you can't get the help file with the ? on the BI5 main screen, it is also available here https://blueirissoftware.com/BlueIris.PDF

For example, free ALPR/ANPR anybody ? Free for up to 2500 Lookups/month anyway, which should be enough for a home user. Go to a cameras settings/ Trigger/ Artificial Intelligence, and click on "Learn More" for Plate Recognizer. Has anybody tried it ?
Forum Moderator.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

TimG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:22 am For example, free ALPR/ANPR anybody ? Free for up to 2500 Lookups/month anyway, which should be enough for a home user. Go to a cameras settings/ Trigger/ Artificial Intelligence, and click on "Learn More" for Plate Recognizer. Has anybody tried it ?
Have not had any success with it yet, with my normal set up the image it takes when motion is triggered is when the car is still in the distance so the car is too small for the ALPR to pick up the text.
If i change the sensitivity/object sze so the car has to be closer/bigger the camera won't pick up people.
I can clone the cameras but that adds to the CPU
Even when you think things are set perfectly unless every car drives at the exact same speed the image it takes might be too late and the car has gone or too early and the car is too far away.
TimG

Post by TimG »

That makes sense. I do remember reading some time ago that you needed a camera just for ANPR. I'm in a cul-de-sac, so the only cars I would be identifying would be my own on the drive.

So what can BI5 actually do with the number ? Is there anything like JSON that can be used to do something with the identified number plate ?
Forum Moderator.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

Copied from platerecognizer website.
"The cloud API lets you read license plate information without installing any software locally. Send images to our server and receive the result in JSON."
I am on 0% success rate so far so will see what happens if i ever get a number plate recognised before my 2500 are up.
I live in a village so may take a while.
darant1979

Post by darant1979 »

I like the frequent updates - I get excited (especially since lock-down) pressing "Update" and guessing if there is one or not! There usually is... I am certain that the same people who question the high frequency of updates would also complain if there was none ;) - Just messing so please do not get offended :P

I have not had a single update break anything - Yet at least.. :)

One thing that would be useful for both learning and general info is links in the update pop-up that divert to a page that explains the new updates.. I get general updates and bug fixes but when its a new feature, its not easy to navigate to them and play / test.

Yes there is an updates page - https://blueirissoftware.com/updates/ BUT that is it... Just a list with words that the BI team fully understand and can interpret but not easy for (me) us to do the same :)

Apart from that, very happy with the software, cost, features..

That said, I did suggest a feature enhancement on zoning - If anyone has had a feature request considered, I would be keen to know the details ;)

Daran