Reset PTZ brightness setting back to default/unspecified

lasttrainlonggone

Reset PTZ brightness setting back to default/unspecified

Post by lasttrainlonggone »

Does anyone know how to reset the PTZ brightness setting back to 'unspecified' so the camera manages it automatically? I'd been clicking on a few of the values to test it out and now want it to go back to being managed by the camera. Seems I can't un-select it and am now stuck with a fixed value.
MikeBwca

Re: Reset PTZ brightness setting back to default/unspecified

Post by MikeBwca »

Had the same issue. Not possible in BI.

You''ll need to go into the cameras interface using a browser. There should be a 'default' or 'reset to default' button somewhere. Make a note of the default settings for Mode/Brightness/Contrast/Hue... and the others, so you can set them in BI.

In several cameras I've gone into the cameras 'Schedule tab, and clicking the 'Event Schedule', set a night time and a morning time, to set the brightness and contrast.
lasttrainlonggone

Many thanks for the response.

I've gone to the camera's manufaturer web front end and clicked everything to default. BI still shows '15' as selected for brightness which I assume is being overridden. Not sure if this '15' setting would be sent back to the camera next time I open the application or whenever I make another PTZ change from the app.

FWIW I had a look around to see if I could edit any config files manually to get around this GUI restriction. Doesn't seem to be possible; even the exported .reg settings file is encoded in some unknown way. Defo looks to be one to go on the enhancement request list for BI.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Sorry about the confusion. I rechecked, and here's the scoop...

If you change the brightness/contrast in BI, the cameras gui settings will change to reflect it.

However, if you change the brightness/contrast settings in the cameras gui, they will not change in BI. Why? Because the cameras gui does not communicate with BI. Whereas, BI communicates to the camera.

What I've done is to reset the settings in the cameras gui, & make a note of them. Then, in BI, change the settings & watch the cameras gui change to to find the one that reflects closest to the default settings.

Then, in BI, I've set for each camera an 'Event Schedule' to change the brightness/contrast on a relative time to Sunrise & Sunset. And, I've checked the 'Search-Back at startup/reset', so the settings will be set properly even when the camera is started/reset.
Works very well, and the Sunrise/Sunset times will automatically change throughout the year. Just remember to set your location long/lat in the BI options Schedule tab.
lasttrainlonggone

Thanks for the info - that makes a lot of sense.

It seems that brightness 15 in BI is a bit below the middle setting on my camera. As 15 is as high as BI goes it's always recording a bit darker than it should be. I think for the moment the setting on the camera is persisting but I'm sure that BI will over write this with the 15 setting at some point.

If I find a way to get BI to forget this 15 setting then I'll update this thread. Using a different Event as you say is probably a way to do this but seems like a nonsense to having to resort to workarounds for something like this.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Old thread but the problem persists.

The only way I've found to delete the settings is to delete and re-install the camera.

Alternatively, disabling the pan/tilt/zoom/brightness, etc. control in the main PTZ camera tab does just that -- disables whatever residual effect may remain from non-deletable settings. But it also kills any other related settings that may be desired for continued use.

There has to be another way...
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I'm not understanding, which is probably why I didn't respond back in 2019.

BI Brightness 15 is just a setting it sends to the camera. There is no value, other than '15'. I don't understand why it should be deleted.

ahh, the Op wanted to know how to set this back to unspecified. When a camera is added, there is no Brightness/Contrast set in BI.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Yep.

The residual settings still affect the camera even after scheduled events have concluded. Having to approximate the BI values in the camera settings (or vise versa) to re-achieve normal camera behavior doesn't seem to have a readily available solution.

Being able to clear out any and all settings to start from scratch is the elusive objective.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Got it!

Here's how to reset a cameras Brightness & Contrast back to unspecified.
I've tested this, and it works.

1. Export your Camera settings. Just-in-case.
2. Shutdown BI. This will not work is BI and/or BI Server is running.
3. Copy the lines below to a file 'Reset Camera Brightness and Contrast.reg', or whatever makes sence to you. Maybe one for Brightness, and another for Contrast. Change the name 'MyCamera' to your camera.
4. If you don't want to reset the Contrast, remove the line.
5. Double click the .reg file. It will delete the Brightness/Contrast registry entry for the camera specified.
6. Start BI.

Here are the lines to copy: Change 'MyCamera' to your camera.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\MyCamera\PTZ]
"iPTZcontrast"=-
"iPTZbrightness"=-