Loss of signal for a wired camera?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

Loss of signal for a wired camera?

Post by Thixotropic »

I see in the popup Status Window that sometimes one or more of my wired cameras loses signal. Maybe a couple times a day, it varies.

I can see how a wifi cam would lose signal, but what would cause a wired cam do that?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Re: Loss of signal for a wired camera?

Post by HeneryH »

I agree with your assessment that wired should not do that. I have 5 cams recording 24x7 and they never disconnect.

Something is wrong somewhere. Finding it may be easier said than done.

Anyone else experience this?
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

I have problems every so often, in my case it is just down to my router or switch, i re boot them and everything is peachy, just a thought, have you tried turning everything off and back on again?
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I'm wondering if it might be due to my network bandwidth getting saturated and/or my ISP barfing the signal. Frontier (my ISP) does seem to get a little flaky at night even though it's fiber all the way to the house.

It *seems* to happen more at night than during the day, but it's pretty sporadic. This is with a Reolink RLC 420 turret cam. I have two, but one of them seems to to do it much more often than the other one.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Are you grabbing camera feeds from outside the home network?
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:41 am Are you grabbing camera feeds from outside the home network?
No, everything is local. I have 2 wired cams and several wifi cams. A couple of the wifi cams never ever report signal loss, which surprises me a bit. But I'm not sure what to make of a wired cam dropping out periodically.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

OK, your ISP shouldn't have any impact if everything is local.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

In the BI Status/Cameras page... at the bottom will list the MP/s streaming to BI. Check this. It will change depending on light conditions.

What is you network speed at home?
How many cameras do you have, and, what are their MP's.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 am In the BI Status/Cameras page... at the bottom will list the MP/s streaming to BI. Check this. It will change depending on light conditions.

What is you network speed at home?
How many cameras do you have, and, what are their MP's.
7 cams at the moment, 2 wired and the rest are wifi.

I have a gigabit network here and fiber all the way to the house. Right now the cameras are changing from time to time as I configure stuff, but the two main cams are Reolink RLC 420 cams. They have the highest bitrate by far of any of the cameras, so I'm wondering if they might be saturating the switch perhaps. They both run at roughly 400K per second, and there is a wifi doorbell (the RCA doorbell) that sucks up another 150K to 200K per second. There are a couple of other wifi cams online, but with much lower rates.
TimG

Post by TimG »

It does sound like a network issue. Could you draw a picture of your network/ switches etc ? Do the cameras with the problem have anything in common network wise ?

I now have my cameras on a separate network (the two NIC method for the BI5 server), as i was concerned a growing number of cameras would impact on using my media servers, and I also wanted to block the cameras from the internet.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.