BI cannot see network folders

screeli

BI cannot see network folders

Post by screeli »

When I recently updated BI to the new 5.0.4.5 version, my network HD became inaccessible which is what I use for Stored and Alerts. If you go to the folder path, the correct address is still there, but BI cannot see it. When I try to remap, BI in fact cant see any network folders. Even after creating a windows short cut and mapping the network folder as a network drive that the PC can clearly see and save data to, BI still cannot see the folders. Is there a new setting I need to change?

I checked the firewall and BI has full access. Am I missing something?
HeneryH

Re: BI cannot see network folders

Post by HeneryH »

I had a similar problem with another tool I use. The solution may be the same.

https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50208.aspx

The Problem

This problem occurs because Macrium Reflect requires elevated Administrator privileges to run. When a network share is mapped to a drive letter in Windows Explorer this is done using standard user account privileges not elevated privileges. Windows makes the mapped share 'visible' only to the standard user not the elevated Administrative user required to run Macrium Reflect.

Please note that this affects all UAC enabled Windows programs and is explained in more detail by this MS article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx

Solutions

1. Use the UNC path to access the network folder

Rather than browsing for mapped drive letter you can locate the same folder by entering/browsing for the full Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path, i.e, \\server\share.

2. Alternatively, change Windows to make mapped shares visible

Note: This solution involves changing the Windows registry.

1. Press the Windows button, type 'regedit.exe' and press enter.
2. In the Windows that opens, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
screeli

Re: BI cannot see network folders

Post by screeli »

Wow...that worked, the first time, and you explained it exactly as it was. Thank you so much! Ive spent countless hours dealing with little issues like this that seem so straight forward, and for the first time...it actually was. Go figure that windows has gotten so layered with security. I guess now that I realize settings can be user specific, this may solve other issues Ive had with my network drives.

thanks again!
Eli