Alerts Stopped - RESOLVED

MikeBwca

Alerts Stopped - RESOLVED

Post by MikeBwca »

Not really resolved. Understood of what's causing this.
The cause: Windows .NET updates.

A few things first...
- Plenty of storage space. BI storage only at 33-40%.
- No memory leak.

This has been occurring occasionally over the past several months. I was not able to track this down... until today.

At 2:51pm I noticed that there were no alerts on any camera since 1:44pm. that's only 67 minutes, so this time I was fortunate. Sometimes it's been hours or a days.

I also noticed there were 2 windows (10) updates needing a restart - .NET Framework, and, Cumulative update for 22H2. I restarted the desktop.
BI Alerts started working again.

- Checking the BI Log, at 1:44pm there were many 'AI: not responding' for all cameras.
- Checking Reliability History, there were 25 updates that were installed between 1:40pm and 1:44pm. Then the two waiting for a restart, for a total of 27!
Note: Windows update history does not give ALL the updates. It listed only 4, so the others must have been included/rolled into the .NET update. Also it does give the times.
Conclusion:
The last 10 .NET updates that occurred at 1.44pn - the exact time the AI errors started, reset/deleted/updated some .NET function/Service that CP uses.
Restarting the desktop at 2:51pm resolved.

Permanent resolution:
None! M.S. will do what it wants, when it wants, and you deal with the consequences.

Temporarily solution:
Stop windows updates. Rather than stopping the Update service, which has other consequences, I preferer to pause windows updates to the maximum period of 5 weeks. Can always 'resume' updates at any time.

Since I lost only 67 minutes if alerts, I used the Search feature on my 3 main cameras to add the missing alerts back into the Alert list. Only took a few minutes for each camera.

No matter how many times I check, there are always more spulling.tyoos errors. What did I miss?

As always, if you choose to accept this mission the IMF will disavow any knowledge of your actions.
Pogo

Re: Alerts Stopped - RESOLVED

Post by Pogo »

As I've mentioned in a couple 'Windows Update" discussions, you aren't going to beat them, so join them.

Just invite them over on YOUR schedule and supervise the behavior -- after stopping Blue Iris for the process, of course.

I've done this routine since installing Blue Iris over two years ago and not experienced a single Windows Update related problem.