PSA: Blue Iris hardware accelerated decode can destroy Blue Iris and System reliability

SpeedCam

PSA: Blue Iris hardware accelerated decode can destroy Blue Iris and System reliability

Post by SpeedCam »

5/10/2024 update/rewrite

I know this warning is called out in the Troubleshooting Toolkit but I think it's worth calling out directly again.

At the beginning of April I started noticing that my Blue Iris install was getting frozen camera streams and the system was degrading to the point that the Windows instance needed to be regularly hard reset. Initially I thought it was due to KB5035853 as others were reporting similar issues. You can clearly see system stability drop off after KB5035853 was installed as I had to keep hard resetting the machine:
System_reliability_drop_after_kb5035853_installed.png
System_reliability_drop_after_kb5035853_installed.png (121.96 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Other symptoms during that time:
- remote desktop stops responding or fails with random error codes
- console logon screen stays black
- console logon screen slowly allows logon

So I uninstalled KB5035853. But after uninstalling KB5035853 my system was still crashing or Blue Iris was winding up with broken/stuck streams. I started thinking about the only other change I made which was related to passing through my GPU in Proxmox to my Blue Iris VM. Undoing that change didn't help with reliablity.

The only change I made which helped reliability was disabling Blue Iris's global GPU usage feature (which I had enabled ~beginning of April):
disable Blue Iris GPU use
disable Blue Iris GPU use
Screenshot 2024-05-10 085925.png (51.74 KiB) Viewed 3 times

Once I turned that off, Blue Iris and system stability returned:
System_reliability_increase_after_disabling_BlueIris_GPUOffloading.png
System_reliability_increase_after_disabling_BlueIris_GPUOffloading.png (65.14 KiB) Viewed 467 times

I run BI on Win 11 23H2 22631.3296 in a virtual machine running on Proxmox 8.03.