BI 5 Feature suggestion thread

EpicLPer

Re: BI 5 Feature suggestion thread

Post by EpicLPer »

Feature Request:

Record both Continuous and Triggered video for the same camera.
This way you can record continuous files into "New" for, as example, 7 days and later only move Triggered files to "Stored". Saves a lot of storage.
The current way is to clone the camera and set one up for continuous and the other for triggered only. But that also requires double the CPU power.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

EpicLPer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:07 am Feature Request:

Record both Continuous and Triggered video for the same camera.
This way you can record continuous files into "New" for, as example, 7 days and later only move Triggered files to "Stored". Saves a lot of storage.
The current way is to clone the camera and set one up for continuous and the other for triggered only. But that also requires double the CPU power.
Maybe I don't understand the request, but isn't this what you're looking for?
BI Record Tab 1.jpg
BI Record Tab 1.jpg (94.87 KiB) Viewed 89827 times
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

gasahold

Post by gasahold »

Something like "smart masking" of wind blowing objects, like weeds, trees, fences, paper bags, etc, would be nice. I think it's related to AI. To be able to collect repeated information and have the option to mask/exclude it from motion detection. It's an ever changing target, but AI should be able to make decisions based on historical data and current situations. A program called Motion (linux app) has a smart mask feature. It's results were never definitive or very apparent to me.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

gasahold wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:52 pm Something like "smart masking" of wind blowing objects, like weeds, trees, fences, paper bags, etc, would be nice. I think it's related to AI. To be able to collect repeated information and have the option to mask/exclude it from motion detection. It's an ever changing target, but AI should be able to make decisions based on historical data and current situations. A program called Motion (linux app) has a smart mask feature. It's results were never definitive or very apparent to me.
Not shooting it down at all, but I don't get it. What would a smart mask solve? How would it improve things? Again, no disrespect, I just can't see how it would help anything, and likely drag the CPU into the crapper. Let me make a case...

Motion for Linux is a motion detection app just like BI's motion sensor - only different. Point is, the smart masking feature in Motion is to provide fine tuning to IT'S analysis routines. Blue Iris uses other techniques to fine tune. Here's what I mean, take this example:
I don't get alerts when the wind blows. The camera may trigger and record, but that doesn't matter to me - alert actions do. Prior to deepstack integration, yeah... false alerts were the price of doing business and the game was fine tuning the sensor and zones and such. Just thinking out loud, but I can't see what smart masking would bring that BI can't do now.
gasahold

Post by gasahold »

YrbkMgr wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:03 am
gasahold wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:52 pm Something like "smart masking" of wind blowing objects, like weeds, trees, fences, paper bags, etc, would be nice. I think it's related to AI. To be able to collect repeated information and have the option to mask/exclude it from motion detection. It's an ever changing target, but AI should be able to make decisions based on historical data and current situations. A program called Motion (linux app) has a smart mask feature. It's results were never definitive or very apparent to me.
Not shooting it down at all, but I don't get it. What would a smart mask solve? How would it improve things? Again, no disrespect, I just can't see how it would help anything, and likely drag the CPU into the crapper. Let me make a case...

Motion for Linux is a motion detection app just like BI's motion sensor - only different. Point is, the smart masking feature in Motion is to provide fine tuning to IT'S analysis routines. Blue Iris uses other techniques to fine tune. Here's what I mean, take this example:
I don't get alerts when the wind blows. The camera may trigger and record, but that doesn't matter to me - alert actions do. Prior to deepstack integration, yeah... false alerts were the price of doing business and the game was fine tuning the sensor and zones and such. Just thinking out loud, but I can't see what smart masking would bring that BI can't do now.
I made the request because I have a situation where I am using the "area of interest" feature in BI. I am so zoomed into a small area looking through a tree, its leaves and branches that DS cannot make anything out of it. The only way to detect is motion... If the tree, leaves and branches could be excluded, especially when the wind blows, it would greatly lessen the problem with detecting motion.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

That sounds complex and might be a good candidate for that open source side-package that does some machine learning. I've been interested in that integration but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

It is the motion of the shadows that has always killed me. BI isn't smart enough yet to distinguish the shadow motion from the object motion.

Zone crossing triggers have had some success with my scenario. I make the shadow movement be within one zone then they are ignored with triggers only when something crosses out or into that zone.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

gasahold wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:48 pm I made the request because I have a situation where I am using the "area of interest" feature in BI. I am so zoomed into a small area looking through a tree, its leaves and branches that DS cannot make anything out of it. The only way to detect is motion... If the tree, leaves and branches could be excluded, especially when the wind blows, it would greatly lessen the problem with detecting motion.
Thank you for that! Makes perfect sense.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
Thixotropic

Re:

Post by Thixotropic »

Feature suggestion: Turn the "Settings" gear icon red or yellow when there's an update; this way people won't have to click it and then click the "Check for News and Updates" button to see if there's an update.

This would be especially useful for people like me who have automatic updates turned off.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
YrbkMgr

Re: Re:

Post by YrbkMgr »

Thixotropic wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:37 pm Feature suggestion: Turn the "Settings" gear icon red or yellow when there's an update; this way people won't have to click it and then click the "Check for News and Updates" button to see if there's an update.

This would be especially useful for people like me who have automatic updates turned off.
Funny, because I was having the opposite problem until I figured it out. I too have updates disabled, but every time I launch the console, I get the popup saying there's an update. If I don't update, I click cancel, and it shows up at every console launch. It may be related to which button is selected on the update screen, in that if you select to stay with your current version, for example, and click okay, maybe that prevents update notifications. Just guessing, but the point is, if I click cancel, I get a splash at every launch - kind of a reminder that there's an update.
I wouldn't mind knowing what your updates dialog looks like to compare.