Settings on camera

General discussion about Blue Iris
Slabbedask

Settings on camera

Post by Slabbedask »

I'm new to Blue Iris, so I'm not to familiar with camera.
We have a lot of setting on Blue Iris, motion Al etc.
But i also have som settings if i log into my local cameras.
Do i need to do some settings local on my camera, or will Blue Iris override this settings? :roll:
Matts1984

Re: Settings on camera

Post by Matts1984 »

BlueIris will not override the camera settings... but it can function as a replacement to many of them.

There are different ways to develop your full system... but the way I do is that I do all of the stream quality settings on the camera (has to be done here... BlueIris cannot dictate video quality from the source) but the cameras do zero motion detection, they are just the source of the feed. I have BlueIris do all motion detection and intelligence. Some cameras do have the built in ability to send motion alerts to BlueIris but in my opinion this comes with caveats and complications, some definitely do it very successfully and happily - I just do not.

The one very small exception to above is with configuration of a PTZ camera. I pre-configured the motion stop points on the camera but then use BlueIris to automate the routine. For example, during the day it hits Locations 1, 3, 5, 7 but during the night it hits 1, 2, 3, 4, 6... something like that.

TL;DR: You got options, but most configure the streams on the camera and do everything else within BlueIris
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras