This article goes under the covers of the Recording tab. We share how BI records which should hopefully provide a better understanding of the settings. With this understanding, you should have a better appreciation of the software as well as how to leverage the software to meet your requirements.
If you prefer to listen instead of read, watch the webinar associated with this article, "The Recording Tab" webinar. YouTube channel.
We also have an overview "Recordings and Storage webinar" for those who are new to BI. See our onboarding playlist in the YouTube channel.
The triggers on the clip list and the timeline are the key interfaces used to access recordings.
And keep in mind the connection between the triggers in the clip list and the triggers in the timeline.
Now I'm going to make the connection between the BI settings/dialogs and the user interface.
When+ vs Continuous+
File Storage Options
Combine or cut video each:
Cut video when triggered with break time
Recording Decision Tree
Recording File Options Scenarios/Use cases
Periodic Use Cases
The Periodic recording is largely used by environmental groups. One use case is a Wildlife organization that counts the salmon population with underwater cameras.
The Triggered + Periodic: Some users did not have enough storage and therefore use this instead of the continuous options.
Kind of provides a summary/timelapse review of the day.
The gotchas section is really about sharing information that came from tickets or questions from past customers. Sharing the knowledge makes everyone better!
Gotcha 1: Recordings off or skipped
The only way to cause a time jump in the recording or skipping during playback
- Is the live view stream healthy, i.e. not lagging, not choppy, not glitching etc.
If not, you need to fix the camera connection first. Garbage in = Garbage out.
Follow Connect cameras correctly section in Checklist.
- If the CPU is overloaded (>80%), then BI may be too busy to fulfill all the camera settings.
- Power savings: Make sure BI is running full throttle all the time.
If the disk drive or the network card is put to sleep, then obviously you will have poor recordings.
On a BI server, power saver settings should only put the monitor to sleep and nothing more.
- Recordings were somehow stopped and then restarted.
Are you running BI as a service? If so, did the software crash and restart?
- Was the camera temporarily paused in BI?
- Was the shield red?
- Was the camera not active for certain profiles?
The image above shows the camera is set to inactive for Profile 2. Camera settings -> General tab.
The current active profile is 2 (Work hours).
In the camera border, BI tells you the camera is running Profile 0 (Inactive) instead of Profile 2, which is a great visual reminder of what is going on.
- Is there a blue border around the camera? The blue border means the motion sensors are off for the camera.
If you chose one of the When+ record settings, then nothing will record because the camera will not trigger because the motion sensors are off.
The Alerts list / Timeline will always be empty because the camera is not triggering.
Keep in mind, if you chose one of the Continuous+ record settings, BI is still instructed to record everything. The clips/recording files still exist. BI just does NOT record when alerts took place because the motion sensors are off, thus the camera will never trigger on motion.
- Either your Schedule is running the Inactive profile as seen in the image above. This would result in ALL the cameras not recording.
- Or you paused the camera as stated above
- Or somehow the motion sensor is turned off. Camera settings -> Trigger tab.
Gotcha 2: Creating short BVR files to send to support (really a Tips & tricks)
Often we ask users to send a short BVR sample exhibiting the issue described in a ticket. To do so is easy.
- If you uncheck Combine or Cut Video, that will result in BI cutting the BVR file after each motion trigger.
- Or you can leave Combine or Cut Video, and change the time length to something small like 15 min.
- A final way is to select "Cut video when triggered with break time".