Hardware and Software option to replace Unifi Gear (HOME)

General discussion about Blue Iris
supermiguel

Hardware and Software option to replace Unifi Gear (HOME)

Post by supermiguel »

Good morning all, I currently have 8 6 outdoors and 2 indoors ( unifi G3 cameras, and 5 of them are having some “Night/IR” related issues, either the filter is stuck or the IR is not turning on, they are old out of warranty so probably going to look elsewhere. I also use their NVR (Unifi Key Gen key +). I feel like their software is meh, so thats another reason ill be switching so here are my questions:

1) Software i guess the clear winner here is Blue Iris? How good does Blue Iris run on virtualized environments like ESXI, UNRAID, Proxmox

2) As far as hardware i currently have all of my cameras mounted on a wall since they are turret style. I saw many of you recommending the dahua 5442 series camera like: Loryta IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm Fixed Lens 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera English Version
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S21FVC7/re ... sFbPF543J9

Is that camera my best bet? this is for my house and want to be sure i buy the right equipment
HeneryH

Re: Hardware and Software option to replace Unifi Gear (HOME)

Post by HeneryH »

1) VMs - the challenge here is passing the GPU through the host to the guest for hardware accelerated video processing. Some have done it. BI makes the best use of the Intel QuickSync GPU and while the Nvidia is supported it is not nearly as efficient as the Intel. If you have figured out how to pass the GPU to the guest OR have enough cores allocated to the VM to handle the load without acceleration, it works fine.