Direct to Disk recording

General discussion about Blue Iris
HeneryH

Re: Direct to Disk recording

Post by HeneryH » Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm

FYI you can still use BI motion detection along with D2D.

I use D2D and take advantage of all of BIs goodness except for BI generated overlays being saved.

Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic » Tue May 05, 2020 1:43 am

HeneryH wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm
I use D2D and take advantage of all of BIs goodness except for BI generated overlays being saved.
That's how I do it- I have the cams add the timestamps and names to the video so BI doesn't have to.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | Ngrok Tunneling

HeneryH

Post by HeneryH » Tue May 05, 2020 2:28 am

@JVH was using phrases in the post above mine that maybe seemed like he thought using BI Motion Detection somehow was linked to not having D2D enabled. Just wanted to be sure he knew they were separate concepts and using D2D doesn't mean you can't use BI features. BI just wont include any data in the raw video stream. the database of alerts and clips and all are still there even in D2D.

Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Not too long ago I found the amazingness that is D2D and will NOT go back. The only caveat I've found, read, been made aware of is that D2D does not allow you to add BI overlays (because the feed is saved prior to BI processing). I originally had BI adding time and date stamps. I simply configured the cameras to add their own directly to the actual feed so BI D2D saves it. The minor config change saved me huge CPU cycles. The only thing I miss out on is that, having different brand cameras, the fonts on some are different (OCD kicking in). It also requires your cameras to be configured, and allowed, ntp access to ensure their time is right. I can tell the cameras are not perfect at keeping sync but it's within one second - so I can live with it!

The reported issue of having clips not showing when you're doing D2D... I did not run into that myself but I actually read about that yesterday and made proactive tweaks to my configuration. I think the issue is down to your "key frames". Check out page 202 in the help document.
Blue Iris 5.2.9.x | Windows Server 2019 VM | 12GB RAM | Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 8 Cores | 6TB Local RAID | Sophos UTM WAF

JVH

Post by JVH » Wed May 06, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks for all your help.
Just to clarify.
I use D2D on all the IP cameras. I let them do the motion detection and overlays to reduce cpu cycles.
I do re-encode to H264 on the DS-4XXX card connected standard cameras. I use BI5 motion detection and overlays on them so the overlays are recorded. The old cameras have no motion detection so BI5 has to do it.

Seems to be working well now.

John

Lusk

Post by Lusk » Wed May 20, 2020 8:12 pm

I have recently started to use DTD and use this as continuous recording but the same cameras are also set to run on a trigger only basis. So far all is working well.