Substream unless triggered - almost perfect...

jasestu

Substream unless triggered - almost perfect...

Post by jasestu »

So excited by this in the latest update 5.4.4.2
Triggered + continuous. When used with a dual-streaming camera along with direct-
to-disc, the result is a BVR file which will contain the sub-stream continuously
recorded, but the main-stream only recorded when the camera is in a triggered state.
With this and in app AI it's damn near the perfect system now (AITool functionality is great, but Blue Iris's DeepStack integration is a little less cumbersome).

Finally I can do away with having second copies of cameras cluttering up BI (yes, I know I can hide them in some views, but having to configure the options on the substream clone and then the mainstream is sub-optimal...)

HOWEVER, one issue when using Triggered + Continuous - I know longer have the high resolution pre-trigger. Yes, I now have a beautiful timeline that I can scrub along and get high-res when there's a trigger, but the high-res doesn't start till after the motion is detected. As per the manual:
The pre-trigger video buffer applies only to when triggered recording.
If pre-trigger can be enabled with the "Triggered + continuous" recording mode, then I think I'll have my ideal set up.
TimG

Re: Substream unless triggered - almost perfect...

Post by TimG »

I see what you mean. Let Ken know - that sounds like a good idea.

I decided long ago to do continuous recording so that I could not only see just before the trigger, but also be able to search for untriggered events - like when the Police asked if my cameras had seen anything at 01:15 on a particular date. They did. Not only did I have the triggered video of guys checking my car doors, I could also see that they had slowly and quietly checked every car door on my neighbours drives.

More hard drives :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

I agree with every comment. My alerts list is now an easily reviewable list. Before with my BI-AITools-DeepStack-HomeAssistant dance, I never got around to fine tuning things like cancelling false triggers so the alerts list was a mess. Dang bugs - and I mean the ones buzzing around the camera at night! Since it also triggered outside lights, it must have looked like a paranoid person was at the switch at night. Now I have the front porch and back porch lights get triggered ONLY if a person, dog, or cat is detected.

A pre-trigger buffer for the Main stream would be nice. But being able to scrub a single recording to see the pre-buffer-pre-trigger SD along with the HD post trigger along with single camera configurations is enough for me to be SUPER happy.

While I'm writing about these great improvements thinking about a previous thread, while I agree it wasn't clear that BI required $29/yr when I bought it for updates, this developer is clearly not sitting on his laurels collecting fees for minimal to no work. In this case for me its a fee much worth giving.

TimG, the age old question: Quality (HD vs SD) or Quantity (how far back you keep before being purged)
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:59 pm I decided long ago to do continuous recording so that I could not only see just before the trigger, but also be able to search for untriggered events
^^^^^THIS

I've set almost all of my cams to 24/7 recording. They still trigger but just for purposes of marking events in the timeline.

Triggers always seem to work great until you actually need them, and then you find out that for whatever reason the camera didn't trigger and you have no footage- right when you need it most.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
jasestu

Post by jasestu »

Thixotropic wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:06 pm ^^^^^THIS

I've set almost all of my cams to 24/7 recording. They still trigger but just for purposes of marking events in the timeline.

Triggers always seem to work great until you actually need them, and then you find out that for whatever reason the camera didn't trigger and you have no footage- right when you need it most.
Yeah, I get that - my hope is that substream 24/7 is enough to catch edge case scenarios, while well tuned triggering (with ram buffered pre-trigger) provides the 4k footage. That said, I'll revisit the maths on storing all cameras at 4k all the time - just feels wasteful (in my case) to be moving around so much 4k footage when nothing's going on.
TimG

Post by TimG »

What a superb program BI5 is becoming ! As you said - almost perfect.

You wanna:

1. Only record on triggers - done.
2. Record 24/7 - done.
3. Record HD on triggers and SD at other times - done.

Very impressive :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
jasestu

Post by jasestu »

And now with 5.4.5.1 it's perfect. Pre-trigger is on the main stream. This is beautiful